commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
New Book - THEIRS THE STRIFE  XML
Forum Index » Commando Library
JDKR
Forum Member

Members of the forum with an interest in World War 2 may be interested in my book Theirs the Strife, which has just been published by Helion & Co and recounts the battles fought between the British and Germans on the North German Plain in April 1945. Deeply researched and published in the 75th anniversary year of the events it describes, my book tells the story of a series of bitter actions fought by VIII and XII Corps to cross the Weser, Leine and Aller rivers. Historians have paid little attention to the war's final weeks, with the few British narratives hurrying from the Rhine to the surrender on Lüneburg Heath and at best making only passing reference to the actions fought en route. The lack of coverage of the fighting has given rise to a number of misconceptions: that the advances through Germany and the Netherlands were trouble-free ?swans?; that by April 1945 the German Army on the western front did little more than surrender; and that by 1945 British Second Army was at its most potent. Theirs the Strife addresses these misconceptions, and reveals that there were more similarities between the opposing combatants than might be assumed, with both facing the same ultimate challenge: summoning up the courage to prosecute a war to its bloody conclusion. Theirs the Strife is no dry piece of military history: much of the narrative is set at battalion level and below, is studded with first-hand accounts and photographs, and supported by over 100 maps and figures, giving the reader unparalleled understanding of the actions.

Naturally 1st Commando Brigade supported by 1st Mountain Regiment RA features prominently in the book's coverage of the bitter battles for the Weser crossing in the area of Stolzenau/Leese and for the Aller crossing at Essel, fought against the former sailors in 2. Marine-Infanterie-Division and the youths of a Waffen-SS training battalion. The book fills a significant gap in our knowledge of this period and, in the 75th anniversary year of the actions it describes, is a fitting and long-overdue testament to the men of both sides who had to fight in sight of peace. An ideal, if unChristmassy, Christmas present!

Best wishes

John
[Thumb - TTS.jpg]
 Filename TTS.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Theirs the Strife
 Filesize 490 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  338 time(s)

JDKR
Forum Member

I thought the membership might be interested to see some sample pages from my book. So I attach: a map, an organisation chart and a page of text. Best wishes - and keep well. John
[Thumb - Cdo_text.jpg]
 Filename Cdo_text.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Text
 Filesize 215 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  304 time(s)

[Thumb - 1_Cdo_Bde.jpg]
 Filename 1_Cdo_Bde.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 1 Cdo Bde org
 Filesize 187 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  312 time(s)

[Thumb - Map_Cdo.jpg]
 Filename Map_Cdo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Map 1
 Filesize 163 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  308 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/12/2020 18:34:11

JDKR
Forum Member

UPDATE. With Theirs the Strife selling out on Amazon?s and Waterstones? sites, I'm sorry that you may not have been able to buy the book. However, the good news is that it is due to be reprinted in January 2021 and will hopefully be available by the end of that month. This will be a soft cover version and will retail at approximately £25. As it takes time for books to get into booksellers' supply chains, initially it will only be available through the Helion website, so best to register your interest for a copy there. Have as good a Christmas as is possible and all the best for 2021.

Forum Index » Commando Library
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger