commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sgt David Foster Haddow 6 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
mariehinely808
Forum Member

Hi I am looking for any information on my grandfather (mothers side). His name was David Foster Haddow, born in September 1917 in Ayrshire and he was in No. 6 Commando's as a Sergeant. I think he was shot in the head as he was landing on the beaches on the D-Day but he luckily survived. He never spoke about his war years as he didn't want to talk about it. He had medals, which we used to help clean as children, but again he would never say what he got them for.

Any information that i can get on his war record and what those medals were it would be much appreciated as it would be nice to learn all his history. We know of his childhood in Scotland. his marriage to my grandmother Joan. They had 3 children, 2 boys and a girl (my mother) and 8 grandchildren. I know about his career in the Met police force and then in a bank but he never told anyone anything about his war years.

Thank you for anyone who can help
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Marie,
Your grandfather is on the No.6 nominal roll which I compiled with the help of a handful of friends over the last 12 years...

However, what you need to do is apply to the MoD for a scan of his service records. Do not bother with commercial online genealogy sites such as Forces War Records who despite their misleading and dubious claims do not have access to WWII service Records - the MoD is the only custodian of WWII service records...

You'll need to provide a copy of his Death Certificate (also available from Gov.UK website), EITHER his service number OR his date of birth, and a one off fee of £30 - unless your grandmother is still with us and can sign the the Next of Kin form, in which case the MoD will waive the fee.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/913064/NOK_request_service_details.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/869588/army_application_part2_final.pdf

Fairly straight forward forms but if you aren't sure of anything just ask - on this thread, by PM, or email...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Marie

I have updated the Commando Veterans Archive nominal roll entry with your grandfather's service number and regiment which I found on a North Africa Casualty List for November 1942 (see photo) where his rank at that time is shown as Fusilier. The date coincides with Operation Torch.

I hope others may know more about any injury he incurred at Normandy but I would definitely recommend applying for his Service Record to see what is in there. He was a member of the original Commando Association as he is named on lists of those they lost contact with over the years. These were known as Lost Legion Lists and he is listed on Lost Legion 5 dated September 1974. I have attached a clip from there but you can view the whole page from our gallery here http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Gatherings+pre+CVA/CA+Lost+legions/

We do not have a photo of your Grandfather so if you care to post one I will add it to the gallery. Any problems in doing so just email me via the email button below. Can you also include if known his full date of birth and death.

[Thumb - LL5_DF_Haddow.png]
 Filename LL5_DF_Haddow.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  179 time(s)

[Thumb - DF_Haddow_caslist_WO 417_55.png]
 Filename DF_Haddow_caslist_WO 417_55.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 220 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  173 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/11/2020 12:10:41

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mariehinely808
Forum Member

Thank you to both of you. This is a great start to my research and so much appreciated for the advice you have given me. I have found him in a photo on the 6 Commando gallery in 1943 (the one with the names listed) when he was still a Fusilier. He is on the 4th row and 8th from the right.

It will be so nice to finally have his story and share it with my brother.

Marie
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Marie

If you register on the gallery you can add a comment to the particular photo you mention and identify him there.

You can register here: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/main.php?g2_view=core.UserAdmin&g2_subView=register.UserSelfRegistration&g2_return=%2FcdoGallery%2Fmain.php%3F

Many thanks.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger