commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Tom Brown, from Troon, Scotland was a Commando during WWII and parachuted into China  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
james77260
Forum Member

Hello,
My grand uncle, Tom Brown, from Troon, Scotland was a Commando during WWII and parachuted into China. He never spoke a word about his time during WWII and I wanted to know if there was a way to find out as much info about him as possible, as I am writing a sports family genealogy books about relatives from the US and Scotland. Any photos during his service, internal docs about his service and especially in China. I'm the vice president of the Society for American Soccer History (SASH) and a US soccer historian as well. Tom was a goalie in the pro league with Ipswich Town and Bury Town in the 1930s through the early '50s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brown_(footballer,_born_1919)

Thank you for any help you can be.

Regards,

James Brown
[Thumb - Tom_Brown_Commando_Wikipedia_pic.jpg]
 Filename Tom_Brown_Commando_Wikipedia_pic.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  245 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi James,
The best way to start your search for information about your great uncles, Tom & John, is to apply to the Ministry of Defence for their respective service records.
This will give you a history of their service from enlistment to demob and is a good foundation stone from which you can build their stories.
The MoD is the only custodian of WWII service records and will remain so for some time yet.
There is a one off payment of £30 for each application - unless their widows are still with us and are able to sign the Next of Kin form, in which case the MoD will waive the fees.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
james77260
Forum Member

Thanks Nick. I'm just going through the death certificate requests in order to make the initial MoD records request. Cheers that is a great help!!

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger