commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Researching Royal Marine Commando's?  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Pete Keane
Forum Member

The service records of Royal marines who enlisted up-to 1936 are now available online at:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royalmarines.asp

Regards

Pete.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/02/2009 22:08:07

Jacky Cross
Forum Member

Hi Pete,
I am trying to find out information regarding my father (James/Jimmy/Jim Frankis), now deceased who I believe joined up in 1941 and ended up serving with 42 Royal Marine Commando from 1943. We understand he was involved in the battle of Hill 170 in Burma?
Do you know when the service records of men joining after 1941 would be available to view at the antional archives or any other source?
I would also be interested in contacting any other surviving personnel or their relatives who also served with that unit.
Many thanks for any assistance you can offer.
Kind regards
Jacky
[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

I am not sure how much help I can be, but in terms of general information in October 1944 42 Cdo formed part of 3 Commando Brigade. At the time the CO was Lt Col H D Fellowes. When later he was wounded, the 2I/C, Major H H Dales took over command. The MO was Capt Freddie Rodger RAMC. The intelligence officer was a Lt Cotton. This I gleaned from a personal account by a member of COPP 8 of small scale raid on Elizabeth Island Combermere Bay Burma that month by thirty members of 42 Cdo. It was sadly unsuccessful, but Cpl Aubrey Chappell was awarded the MM. The COPP 8 officer was Major Alec Colson, whose name can be found elsewhere on this website.

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger