commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No. 3 Commando rolls - missing name??  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
DPugh
Forum Member

Hi. My grandad, Norman Grant is not on any of the rolls. He once said he was in No.3 commando and landed on Queen Red, Sword Beach and was invalided out in Holland. I believe he was in charge of a few men. He was anti-tank and said he was sometimes attached to other regiments. There are two other Grants on roll, which are not him. One being a Pte and the other a much higher army rank.
However, I recently noticed in the Pegasus Archive war diaries for no. 3 Commando that there is a L/Cpl Grant. Could this him? Any help appreciated thanks.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and thanks for your message. There was no official list of those who served in the Commandos. We also do not have access to the official service record of any individual so we understand that the nominal rolls are excellent but not complete. There is a picture of a Cpl Grant in a 3 Troop photo of No.3 Commando. Check it out on the link below. If you click on it it will enlarge and the individual is clearly visible. Do you have any photos of your grandfather for comparison ? Do you know anymore about his service from family records, eg. a service number or regiment? Did your grandfather have any middle name ?

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/trp+photos/3+Troop+3+Cdo+avec+noms+steph.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
DPugh
Forum Member

Thanks for your reply. Sorry - I may have mixed up my facts. His brother was in No. 3 originally and was in the Lofoten Island raids. Apparently he and his brother bumped into each other on the beach on d-day even though serving in different units.
I have a photo of Norman when younger and this is not him. He had no middle name. He rarely spoke of his experience and didn?t want me to see his records when alive.
He definitely said he was a commando and took out German tanks and got to Holland. He was assigned to other units. He landed with/near the Canadians. I found a scribbled note I took on one occasion but he didn?t elaborate and I didn?t really understand it.

4th special service brigade

Commando units No 41 Cdo - right of Sword
No 48 Cdo (RM)?
Juno beach with 3rd Canadian Infantry division.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Well the 4th Special Service Brigade and the other details all make sense but to find out precisely what unit your Grandfather was in you may have to do a bit more digging to see if any of the extended family have anymore detail, memorabilia, photos, etc. and more importantly apply for a copy of his service record. For the latter you will need to try and discover whether he was an Army Commando, a RM Commando, or a RN Commando. Because of the notes you made it is likely but not absolutely certain that he was a Royal Marine. Worth having a read through this first and explore via the links what is needed for any application you make http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

Is his brother listed in our No.3 Commando nominal roll on here ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
DPugh
Forum Member

Thanks for the link. I will have a look. I have a few photos of Norman in uniform.

His brother appears on a Combined Ops site, but is not listed on the no 3 nominal roll.
DPugh
Forum Member

On the back of one of Norman?s photoS which was scanned by a family member, it says No. 4 commando.

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger