commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pte Pierre Laux, No4 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Anonymous

Hi,

I am a person researching about Luxemburgish Veterans of WWII.

I am Looking for a Luxemburgish Veteran, which was in the Brittish Commandos and Landed in Normandy on D-Day.

His Name is Pierre Laux, and he died in November 1944 in Holland during the Walscheren Campain and is buried in a CWGC grave in Bergen Op Zoom.

He was member of the No 4. Commando of the 1st Special Service Brigade of Lord Lovat during the WWII.

Do you have some information or pictures about him ? Do you know in which troop he was ? Is there any place where I can look for information about him ?

Thank you very much for your help,

Yours sincerly,

Daniel JORDÃO
Luxemburg

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/02/2009 20:56:36

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Daniel:

Scrutiny of available information concerning Pierre does not reveal much pertinent data. We list as follows what we have been able to ascertain:

Name: Pierre (nmi) Laux
Service No: 13807764
Parent Unit: Devonshire Regiment
Date of Death: 02 Nov. 1944 Year of Birth: 1918
Casualty No.: 2033970
Place of Death: In or near the environs of Flushing
Possible O.C.: No. 1 & No. 2 Troops, Major B.W. Boucher-Myers
Nov. 4 Cdo C.O.: Lt. Col. R.W.F. Dawson, DSO
Photographs: none found
Next of kin: wife, Hilda Laux, residing at Astley Bridge, Lancs. U.K. at the time of casualty notification.

Note: The Grand Duchy of Luxemburg does not have archives concerning its citizens who enlisted externally in foreign armed forces. Any record available which describes Pierre's service in H.M. Forces will be held at Army Records Office, Glasgow.

Sorry we could not have been of more help.

Regards,

Bob & Janet Bishop
Anonymous

Hello Daniel
My father William (Bill) Harvey was with No4 Commando and was killed in action at Flushing on 1st November 1944. I would try to get some information from Han Houterman who is a Dutch author and was very helpful to me with finding out about may father. His email address is [email protected].
Best wishes Bill Harvey
Anonymous

Daniel
I have the full report from Flushing. If you give me your address I will post it to you. Under No3 Troop, page 24, the report reads "The distance between the harbour area and the first objective, BRAEMAR, was covered as fast as possible, and the first objective was reached at first light, 0700 hours. On the way to the first objective Gnr. Harvey was killed by enemy MG fire. Numerous enemy were seen, but were apparently in rather a disorganised state and concentrated on cover rather than concerted resistance. Various pill boxes and machine gun posts were by-passed with the exception of one pill box in the neighbourhood of BRAEMAR. As this pill box covered the approach to BRAEMAR an assault group of C sub section under Sjt Jackson was detached to deal with it. In doing so Pte. Laux was killed at the entrance to the pill box."
Bill Harvey
Anonymous

Daniel
The Roll of Honour from Flushing reads - Lieut. N. W. Barrass R.A. L/Sgt A. J Walker S. Lancs. L/Cpl. O. C. Hooper Buffs. Pte H Donkin S. Lancs. Gnr. W. Harvey R.A. Gnr E. A. Hill R.A. Pte J Stoddart R. Berks. Pte P. Laux Devons. From the 1st Bataillon de Fusiliers Marins Commandos. Cpl. J Monceau. Cpl. Y. Ruppe. L/Cpl J Montean. L/Cpl. J Neven. L/Cpl. N Gourong.
Bill Harvey.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger