commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Len Taylor recent passing  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
martintaylor
Forum Member

Sadly my Uncle Leonard Taylor passed away at the weekend. He was a 18/19 year old signaler in the commandos, was on D-Day with Lord Lovat, and they were sent to reinforce Pegasus Bridge. My Uncle never had any children and rarely spoke about the war, but when he did he had fond memories. He got his Légion d'honneur a few years ago after being persuaded to accept it as he thought it was a bit showy to wear it, typical of his mild manner. I am now the only Male Taylor of our family line so all his photos , documents, memorabilia will come to me. Once the Funeral is over i shall be able to post any relevant info to the archive.
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Thanks for posting this Martin.
May Leonard RIP and our sincere condolences to you and Leonard's family and friends.

Your Uncles archive would be most welcome on our site.

All best wishes

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Martin

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and all the family at this sad time. We give thanks for you Uncle Len's service as they all fought for our freedom.

Your Uncle Len archive will help his memory be preserved on this wonderful Archive.

My Dad was No 4 Army Commando and landed on D-day.

God bless you and the family with many happy memories uf Uncle Len.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
martintaylor
Forum Member

I am having trouble getting pictures to upload, so my girls have helped me set up a family website and have started a page about Len
Leonard Taylor service number 14409066
hope this helps, it is very basic and we have a lot of stuff to upload
https://sites.google.com/view/taylor-family-tree/taylor-family-tree/len-taylor
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Martin
My condolences to you and all of your Uncle Leonards family and friends. Far from being very basic I think what your family have set up on that link is first class. We have a 1mb file size limit for each post or reply to a post so it is likely that was the issue you experienced.
His association membership book gives an indication as to when he attended the Commando Basic Training Centre (CBTC) at Achnacarry for his Commando course. It is signed by Capt R.L. Sharples (the Admin. Officer at the CBTC) and dated 24th April 1944. Commandos passing out from their training were encouraged there and then to join the then named Old Comrades Association of the Special Service Brigade (eventually shortened to Commando Association) which had been set up the previous year by Lt. Col Charles Vaughan, the Commandant of the CBTC.
Can you advise me of the exact date of your Uncle's passing.

[Thumb - Len Taylor (on the right) with brother Eric.jpg]
 Filename Len Taylor (on the right) with brother Eric.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 193 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  183 time(s)

[Thumb - Sig Len Taylor.jpg]
 Filename Sig Len Taylor.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  195 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
martintaylor
Forum Member

Len passed away on 6th September 2020.

I keep adding pictures and text to the website when I get time.
The one question we need an answer to is, 90 days after d-day he was recalled/came back home and we have no idea what he did then until leaving in 1947.
One piece of paper says NWE 90 days
[Thumb - LENS MEDAL THIS ONE.JPG]
 Filename LENS MEDAL THIS ONE.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Picture of Len sitting down receiving his Légion d?honneur.
 Filesize 367 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  202 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Are you quoting from the personal service documents you have posted, or from a copy of his official Army Service Record ? If the former then you should apply for a copy of his full service record from the Army Personnel Centre Historical Disclosures Section. Here is how to do so: http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger