commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
VJ Day 15 August 1945 - 75th anniversary  XML
Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

David Justice advises us of of the following response from the Royal British Legion regarding VJ Day events

Many thanks for your continued support for and interest in our Commemorative Events Programme. We are pleased to let you know that we are able to hold a smaller but hopefully equally significant commemoration for VJ Day 75 at the NMA on Saturday 15th August. Whilst capacity is limited, we are also delighted to share that this will be broadcast live on BBC One from 0930 - 1130.

For those who wish to pay their respects at the NMA on the day, there are some public registrations available for the afternoon (from 1200hrs) after the commemoration. Spaces can be booked online at http://www.thenma.org.uk/plan-your-visit/visiting-us-summer-2020/ - click the 'book now' button and select the date.

Please note, unfortunately we have had to limit access to the site during the commemoration itself due to Covid restrictions, however the link allows you to book access to the site and its fantastic memorials on the afternoon of the 15th August.

If there are any VJ veterans that are affiliated with your organisation that hadn't previously registered but might now be interested in attending the commemoration at the NMA, please send their name and contact details (preferably an email address) to [email protected] by Friday 7 August and a member of the team will register their interest.

Finally, we very much want to be able to represent those VJ veterans who would have wanted to be at the event but who cannot travel. If you have veterans of VJ Day within your membership, we ask that you share this link with them in order for us to be able to lay a posy with a message from them, as part of the event: Poppy Posy registration This form will close on Wednesday 12 August.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
BillP
Forum Member

Hi all

Advice required please. I`m attending the RBL VJ Commemoration at the NMA in memory of my Dad. As I have never been in the military or in the words of my Dad "Never seen an angry man" would it be OK for me to wear his regimental tie as a sign of respect on the day? By the way I will be wearing other clothes !

Proud son of Sgt Alexander Pirie MM Royal Marines 1935 to 1947
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Bill,
Well done on attending the British Royal Legion's Commemoration of VJ at the NMA on 15 August. Unfortunately, circumstances dictate that I am not able to attend - as much as I would love to as my father served in No.5 Cdo in India & Burma...

Depending on the 'other clothes' you're proposing to wear, it is far more acceptable for you to wear your father's medals, than his regimental tie.

It is acceptable etiquette for you to wear his medals pinned to the right breast of your jacket/blazer/coat.
This signifies that you are honouring a close relative, whereas wearing regimental tie is interpreted that you were part of that regiment/Corps and, as you weren't, is frowned upon.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/08/2020 22:25:51

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
BillP
Forum Member

Hi Nick
Thanks for the info, RBL have confirmed the same protocol. Ive been allocated a seat in the Blue seating area if any other CVA members are going.

Proud son of Sgt Alexander Pirie MM Royal Marines 1935 to 1947
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A video message from Lieutenant General Sir Andrew Gregory KBE CB, Master Gunner St James's Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=hSMc7LxlIWk&feature=youtu.be

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/08/2020 18:52:37

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

75 years ago this day Japan surrendered and World War Two ended. The month of August during WW2 will also be remembered for other events. Read more in our Archive page below

http://www.commandoveterans.org/WW2CdoHistory_August

[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Event Anniversaries (WW2)
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger