commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando Training in the 1960s  XML
Forum Index » RM Commando Units 1946 to present day
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Over 40 photos of Commando Training added to the Gallery. You can view them here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/laterday/RM+Commandos/Cdo+School+60s/

Thanks to Dave Pritchard ex 45, Commando School Instructor, and RM Reserve. More to follow from his time in Aden with 45 Commando.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
outcast
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:Over 40 photos of Commando Training added to the Gallery. You can view them here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/laterday/RM+Commandos/Cdo+School+60s/

Thanks to Dave Pritchard ex 45, Commando School Instructor, and RM Reserve. More to follow from his time in Aden with 45 Commando.

Pete wrote:Over 40 photos of Commando Training added to the Gallery. You can view them here:

I would have been at ITCRM Lympstone as the same time as Dave. Having returned to the UK from 42 Commando RM, I did my parachute training at Abingdon (April/May) and then qualified as a Platoon Weapons Instructor 2nd Class at Lympstone. I had undertaken Junior NCO training at Nee Soon in Singapore and was promoted from L/Cpl to Cpl shortly after qualifying as a PW2.
The first training team that I joined comprised of Sgt Pete Tasker, Cpl. Terry Waterson, Cpl. "Nutty" Edwards and Cpl. "Boots" Allistone.
The phase of training that I was involved in was known as "B" Group Training; the stage immediately prior to "X" Troop (or Commando) Training. As such, although the stages of training were completely separate, the training teams were part and parcel of the Infantry Training Center Royal Marines and our paths crossed frequently. It was, after all, a relatively small camp.
In the pictures that Dave has posted I remember some names and faces: Jack French, who was to become an RSM and a bit of a legend in the Corps, "Taff" Roberts, Malcolm Kennedy who was killed in a road traffic accident not far from the camp in 1966 and Sgt. Blyth.
It's good to see some of those photographs of "X" Troop (commando) training. It brings back a few memories, some good, some not so good.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I?
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference".
Robert Frost
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Glad you found the photos. Dave has added a lot of comments to individual photos in the gallery as well. Dave also said very much the same as you about RSM Jack French and has sent me a disc of photos that Jack gave him which I have yet to review. Dave also commented about Malcolm Kennedy which I added to our archive entry for him here:

https://www.commandoveterans.org/MalcolmKennedyRM

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/09/2023 17:44:04

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
outcast
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete
I'm still baffled by the process of adding photos to the site. Others manage it, so I must be particularly dim.
You kindly let me email them to you a while ago but I can't seem to find your email address now, either.
Desperation is setting in!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/09/2023 17:44:29

Robert Frost
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have sent you an email so you can send them direct to me.

All the best

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/09/2023 17:44:40

[Email]
outcast
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I remember the time limits for the 30 miler as being 8 hours for recruits (non officers) and 7 hours for YOs (Young Officers).
I don't believe that it was ever any different: certainly not during my time in the Corps, but maybe I have remembered it incorrectly.
However, YO times for the commando tests were less than those for recruits across the board: 9 Miler, Scramble (Endurance) Course, Tarzan/Assault Course and 30 Miler.
If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will put me right!

Robert Frost

Forum Index » RM Commando Units 1946 to present day
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger