commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Corporal CH/X 3155 George Richard Blumsom 40 RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Using the Website, Forums and Gallery
Paul Blumsom
Forum Member

I would like to add details of my father's (CH/X 3155 G R Blumsom) service with 'A' and subsequently 40 RM Commando during the Second World War. These details have been lifted directly from his Certificate of Service.
11/07/1939 Enlisted in the Royal Marines at London aged 17 years
20/02/1942 RM Commando
18/01/1944 Wounded in Action (He was left with scars on his left elbow and his right eye)
12/11/1948 - 11/05/1952 Enrolled in the Royal Fleet Reserve
I have documentary evidence that he was posted to 'A' Troop dated Christmas 1943

01/10/1942 Promoted to Lance Corporal
18/06/1943 Promoted to Corporal
04/09/1943 Reverts to Marine
17/09/1943 Promoted to Lance Corporal
01/03/1944 Promoted to Corporal

Incidentally the family name has been misspelt on the nominal roll as Blumson with an 'n' when it should read Blumsom with an 'm'

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/07/2020 20:12:04

Paul Blumsom
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

Thanks for your message. I have amended the spelling of your father's surname in our nominal roll and included his forenames. Do you have a photo of your Father ? If so post it in a reply to this message and I will add it to our Gallery with the additional details you provided. I had a note that your Father had been wounded but no specifics so will also include that. Additionally if you have any photos of your father's commando comrades please also post. Any difficulties you can send them by email to me and I will add on your behalf. My email is on the email link (button) below.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Paul Blumsom
Forum Member

Hello Pete

I do have a photograph of my father but have no scanner. However, I will use our local library's scanning facilities when they finally open and provide it then.

Further to my original post, my father passed away in 2001 but I remember him speaking fondly of 'Pops' Manners, who seems to have been widely respected by his men. He also used to speak of his colleagues but I can only remember them referred to by their nicknames. In particular he spoke of one of his best chums nicknamed 'Taff' or 'Taffy' who was killed in action. I believe my father was with him when he died and I would love to find out if any other members of the forum might be able to help in identifying him. He also spoke of another marine nicknamed 'Snaky' who he served with. Any information would be gratefully received.

Paul Blumsom

Forum Index » Using the Website, Forums and Gallery
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger