commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for info on Uncle.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
bunny
Forum Member

Seeking info on 849080 NORMAN DAVIES from Folkestone Kent.
Enlisted Coldstream Guards 13.11.1939. Stationed London.
Transferred to Special Training Centre, Lochailort, 7.8.1941.
Training with 2 Commando there and elsewhere in Scotland.
Billeted out in private homes during training. Lots of swimming in Lochness planting limpet mines under dummy ships.
Was transferred to Parachute Regiment at Ringway in 1942 along with others from No. 2 in what he described as "An Army cock up", didn't remember volunteering to jump out of planes.
Fought in N. Africa and Italy. Cracked a vertebrae on last jump and transferred as attached to Glider Pilots Regiment in S. England.
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good luck with finding out more.
I was pleased to read your post as I've often wondered what the lads thought about being expected to jump out of planes! When I asked my dad about whether he'd done so - he was No.4 - he just chuckled. Mam said he'd rather be seasick than jump out of a plane.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
bunny
Forum Member

Eileen,

Thanks for that. NORMAN got to enjoy jumping and did it 27 times. I think he enjoyed the extra pay more.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have found some basic information on your Uncle from his attestation into the Coldstream Guards. It looks he was in the Royal Artillery TA before the war started. Basic stuff such as height weight age occupation etc. Also his posting to the Special Training Centre at Lochailort. But then it stops. We do not have access to full service records. Is the rest that you have come from his service record or from what you and the family know ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
bunny
Forum Member

Hi Pete,
Yes, talked with Uncle before he died. Knew about the RA TA service. He was billited with an elderly Scottish lady near one of the castles he was stationed at. Unfortunately when she was cleaning his room 4 hand grenades he had left under the bed rolled out and nearly gave her a heart attack. She told him to leave and find another billet.
Wish I had asked him more about his Commando days.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

His service record should hopefully give precise dates of any attachment to No.2 Commando, and also the date he left them and joined the Paras. In the period from September 1941 to February 1942 No.2 Commando was based in Dumfries, then Perth, and finally Ayr. However small detachments went off to other places as well. They left Perth after some trouble with some Polish soldiers who were also staying there.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
bunny
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Messages deleted as non related to this.

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger