commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
First raid by parachute. Commando12 . Sept 1943 .  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Mellaza
Forum Member

Read in the story of commando 12 .
Where is the area of this raid .

« 2-Sep-43 Forfar Item. This was the first raid into France by Parachute and later evacuation by MTB. »
Merci.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Forfarforce is documented in the book The Green Beret, author Hilary St. George Saunders. In there he describes Capt. J.G. Wilmers as devising one of the several Forfar raids. Whitley bombers dropped raiders by parachute near St. Valery en Caux. Captain Wilmers and seven others took part on the night of 2nd September. They evacuated by Dory to a waiting MTB.

The author also makes reference in relation to your other post a raid to Ushant within the same 24 hours although gives very little detail.

We have some photos of the Small Scale raiding Force you might be interested in seeing: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/SSRF/

Henry Brown OBE, who was General Secretary of the original Commando Association from 1946 - 1987 created a document about some of the commando raids and dates in WW2 and that can be viewed here: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/raids/

Hope this is of a little help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/06/2020 12:01:36

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Mellaza
Forum Member

Thank you .
I bought the book by amazon .
Now ,I have to wait .

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger