commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Frederick William Newby (Fred) QH.X.5221 Royal Marines 25th September 1947 - 5th March 1957  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Nick4219
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello All,

I'm attempting to research my Grandfather above and his time with the Royal Marines. I have his service record, however, I would like some assistance in deciphering it as well as putting him to certain places. I believe he joined as a National serviceman but ended up doing a bit more.

From what I can see he attended ITCRM Lymptsone 25/9/47 to 20/11/47 and then was at the Cdo Sch R.M 21/11/47 until 12/12/47. It looks like he was then posted to Cdo Hdq Coy 13/12/47 to 12/1/48. He was then posted to 3 Cdo Bde (45 Cdo) 13/1/48 to 19/11/50.

I have photos of him in Hong Kong on Stanley Beach, Chung-Chow (Cheung Chau), Tia - O island. There is also pictures of him and the photo says he was part of X Troops swimming team. There is also a couple of photos of his friend at Suez 1949 as well as some photos of St Patricks Barracks, Malta and also a city scape described as Benghazi April 26th. There is also a blurry photo of someone tiptoeing across a fallen tree in a jungle but not sure if this is him or one of his mates.

He was awarded the Naval General Service Medal and has the clasps for Palestine and Malaya which the record say he received on either 28/2/53 and the 28/8/54.

I remember he had a fierce looking scar across his nose which I think was as a result of an action in Malaya, however, he never spoke of this, this was just what my Nan used to tell me. It appears from my research that 45 Commando were in Malaya between 1950-52 so he must have been there quite early. His eldest daughter (My Aunt) says that she remembers him telling her that he had problem with his eyes for a while and they wanted to discharge him, however he did not want to leave so this may explain the service timeline below?

His service record shows that he was on passage from the 20/11/50 to 19/12/50 and back to RMB Plymouth until 13/3/1951. He was then at RMB Deal 14/3/51 - 20/5/51 then Commando School again 21/5/51 - 24/1/52. He was then at RMB Eastney again 25/1/52 to 26/6/52 and I believe he did a chefs course 27/6/52 to 12/10/52. Then Gunnery school RM (Eastney) 13/10/52 - 8/12/52. Then Indefatigable 9/12/52 - 20/8/54. RMB Eastney 21/8/54 to 24/9/54 and then in to the RFR for 5 years.

Sorry its a bit wordy but I can't seem to attach the photos I have of him for people to see. It looks like the medals have been lost over the years so my overall aim is to order replacements for display purposes. I would also appreciate if anyone can throw some light on Palestine, Libya and Malaya and if there is anything like the war diaries in the RM archives that can be searched.

Thanks

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/06/2020 09:47:11

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Nick's photos are here. The date of 26th April annotated on the back on the Benghazi photo is 2 days after the main body of 45 Commando arrived in Cyrenaica, the eastern sector of Libya, on the 24th April 1948. The Unit was split between Benghazi and Derna , 200 miles apart by road. The HQ was set up in a derelict Italian barracks in Benghazi (Source: Four Five-The Story of 45 Commano RM, author David Young).
[Thumb - Fred Newby group 1_Cheung Chau island_HK.jpg]
 Filename Fred Newby group 1_Cheung Chau island_HK.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Fred Newby on the right
 Filesize 165 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  223 time(s)

[Thumb - Benghazi April 26th.jpg]
 Filename Benghazi April 26th.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  233 time(s)

[Thumb - Tai_O_island_HK.jpg]
 Filename Tai_O_island_HK.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Fred Newby on the right
 Filesize 100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  236 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 24/06/2020 18:21:26

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

more
[Thumb - X tp swimming team.jpg]
 Filename X tp swimming team.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description l-r. Mnes. Jones, Newby, Ritchie, Moran, Bailey
 Filesize 94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  227 time(s)

[Thumb - LCpl Dunning_Suez_1949.jpg]
 Filename LCpl Dunning_Suez_1949.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  236 time(s)

[Thumb - Fred Newby gp.jpg]
 Filename Fred Newby gp.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Fred Newby on left in uniform
 Filesize 112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  213 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 24/06/2020 18:19:48

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

more
[Thumb - Newby_gp_2.jpg]
 Filename Newby_gp_2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Fred Newby on the left
 Filesize 117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  229 time(s)

[Thumb - Fred_Newby_photos.jpg]
 Filename Fred_Newby_photos.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 59 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  227 time(s)

[Thumb - Newby_gp_3.jpg]
 Filename Newby_gp_3.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 154 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  230 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 24/06/2020 18:18:41

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Nick I will add these to the gallery soon. Can you confirm where in each of the photos (other than the one where is already identified) your Grandfather is. Also just confirm that one of the Marine on his own is your Grandfather ?

[Email]
Nick4219
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that.

Fred is on the left in the picture with the helmets and rifles.

Fred is the one in uniform on the left with the other swimmers

The Hong Kong photos, Cheung Chau he is on the right and the seared one on the rock he is seated on the right.

Hope that helps.

Nick
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks I have updated those. Your Grandfather actually has 2 service numbers on his record that you sent. The first is a six figure number CH/X 118914, the second a four figure number preceded again by CH/X not QH/X - CH/X 5221. A change in the format of all RM service numbers occurred in 1948.

[Email]
Nick4219
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete.

There is also a short posting to SASRM in November 51 to December 51 and I can?t find what this is from a google search. I?m guessing it may be Small Arms School RM?

Thanks

Nick
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nick

Yes I believe the SAS RM on his record will be as you stated. We have WW2 photos showing that it was located at Gosport and titled Sniper Courses. Here is a typical one from 1944:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Training/Snipers+course_woodcock.jpg.html

I have posted your photos into the post war gallery for RM Commandos. the group ones are in the 45 Commando album itself. The single ones of your grandfather and LCpl Dunning are in the main album with all the other individual ones.

Here are some links to take you there:

Group photos - 45 Commando album: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/laterday/RM+Commandos/45+Cdo/

Main post WW2 RM Cdo album : http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/laterday/RM+Commandos/

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger