commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Raid ushant Island ( Ouessant ) 3/4 sept 1943. Cod 12 and US rangers .  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Mellaza
Forum Member

I research information about «pound » operation ,in ushant island ,France during the night of 3 to 4 sept 1943. Number of commandos,boat using ... merci

charles
Forum Member

Hi, I am researching the same subject, have you received any info?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

deleted and reposted below

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 09/08/2020 18:27:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hello Charles and Mellaza

Charles, I received your message on our Contact Form asking for information about this raid and thought as you had posted here I would respond here. Unfortunately all I myself can find is basically what you probably already know. I did find an enquiry to the original Commando Association back in 2003 which they posted in their newsletter 116 from which I quote:

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Lt. H. Hollins (Manchester Regt.) who served with No.10 Independent Company, at STC, No.12 Commando and at CBTC. Lt. Hollins is believed to have led "Operation Pound", a raid on the island of Ushant on the night of 3rd/4th September 1943. It is also believed that the troops on this raid were a contingent from HQ Special Service Brigade and some U.S. Rangers.

In the book The Green Beret by Hilary St George Saunders, the author makes brief reference to this raid in the section on Forfar Force commanded by Francis West Fynn MC of No.12 Commando who later became commanding officer of No.2 Commando.

There are numerous references to the raid on the internet but most lack the specifics you seek.

A website www.armyranger.com has this information about the short lived 29th Provisional Ranger Infantry Battalion commanded by Major Randolph Milholland. The battalion was deactivated at Okehampton, Devon, on 18 October 1943.

After conducting three joint raids on the Norwegian coast, the battalion moved to Bude, Cornwall, in May, and then to Dorlin House, Scotland, in July. The battalion participated in a fourth raid on Ile dOuessant...Ushant Island off the tip of Brittany. The small number of Rangers accompanying the Commandos acquitted themselves very well.

The UK National Archives at Kew has a file with reports from the Forfar raids July to October 1943. Here is the link to the file:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4403897

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
charles
Forum Member

Many thanks!!!
Mellaza
Forum Member

Pete,Merci beaucoup.
I have found more informations with the rangers?s Families.
I wrote a little post in my Facebook page : 5ème rangers .bataillle de brest .
I bought the book : the greeen beret ,but there is not a lot of information.
Charles : vous pouvez me contacter par cette page facebook pour vos recherches.

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger