commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Dame Vera Lynn  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Dame Vera Lynn, the Forces sweetheart, has died aged 103. The Royal British Legion described her as "an unforgettable British icon" and a "symbol of hope to the Armed Forces community past and present".

Speaker of the House of Commons Lindsay Hoyle said she was a "hero" who captured the "sense of longing felt by so many during our darkest hour", while Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said she "lifted our nation and its Armed Forces in their moment of maximum peril".

Watch her singing We'll Meet Again here https://news.sky.com/story/dame-vera-lynn-dies-aged-103-her-family-says-12009454

Rest in peace Vera.
[Thumb - Dame Vera Lynn.jpg]
 Filename Dame Vera Lynn.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  251 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/06/2020 14:02:25

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I remember an interview she gave many years ago. When she signed up to entertain the troops she was asked where would she like to go. She said 'where does nobody want to go ?' and the answer was Burma. Well, I'll go there then she said.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The funeral Of Dame Vera Lynn takes place today. More here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-53337459

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/07/2020 08:30:45

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger