commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Information on Eric Edward Saunders  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
DSaunders
Forum Member

Hi, I'm looking for pointers to find more information for my grandfather, Eric Edward Saunders.
He spoke about being a Royal Marine, but didn't talk too much about his war years, although I know he was in North Africa and by accessing the Forces War Records website, I now know he joined 41 Commando between 1942 and 1946, with Sicily and D Day mentioned.

I'm assuming to access more information I need to make a request via the government site?
Will this provide more information or will it just be duplicate of what I've already accessed?

Is there an easy way to search the history of 41 Commando?

Any help / assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Darren Saunders
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Darren

I am interested to know what was the source for the information you found on Forces War Records and what else it provided. Service Records can only be obtained through the Disclosure Sections of the M.O.D. How to do so can be found here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
DSaunders
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Copy and pasted across from Forces War Records, when I initially started to find any details, this site came very high up on a google search, and yes I got sucked into a months membership to access the below.

First Name: Eric
Initials: E
Surname: Saunders
Information: 41 commando SICILY ITALY D DAY
Year Signed Up: 1942
Year Left: 1946
Unit(s): Commando Brigade, RM Barracks Eastney
Collection: Forces Reunited - Exclusive exclusive collection

The record you are viewing contains all the information available from the original source, either fully transcribed for you or as an index and attached image.
Other collections may hold more or different data for this person.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger