commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Harold Plank, RM Cdo; Three diferent uniforms?  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Mark Smith
Forum Member

Attached are three photos (sorry about the poor quality) of my great uncle Harold Plank who was a company seargent major in A troop No 47 Royal Marine Commando. I am puzzled by the fact that he is wearing three different uniforms. Could anyone shed any light on why this is please.

Thanks.
[Thumb - 01010609_edited.JPG]
 Filename 01010609_edited.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 281 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  538 time(s)

[Thumb - 01010607_edited.JPG]
 Filename 01010607_edited.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 569 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  507 time(s)

[Thumb - 01010611_edited.JPG]
 Filename 01010611_edited.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 441 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  525 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/08/2009 10:46:48

Pete Keane
Forum Member

Although not an expert on either the Marines or uniforms in general, I would hazard a guess that the middle photo is the oldest - did he join the navy as a seaman and then transfer or re-join as a marine?

The bottom photo is his battledress, whilst the top photo is his dress uniform - did he become an officer, as it looks like a pip on his eppaulette?

I assume you have his service card? Does it carry more than one service number, if he left and re-joined he may have two service cards?

Regards

Pete
Mark Smith
Forum Member

Thanks for that. Sounds intruiging. I don't have his service card but I will try and get it. I wonder, is there anyone else on the forum that might be able to tell me some more about the uniforms Harold is wearing?

Mark.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/02/2009 16:57:47

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Fascinating!
One question that springs to my mind is about the bottom photo. This shows Cpl Harold Plank, in Battle Dress, wearing a Field Service Cap (often, erroneously, called a Forage Cap) - did the RM actually wear a Field Service Caps?

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

To answer my own question:

... the Khaki Field Service Cap was worn by all ranks after the introduction of their battledress into the Corps in 1939. It was also worn by some recruits and others wearing Khaki Service Dress. It was an optional item from 1948...

http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/museumresearch/PDFs/Marines%20Unforms.pdf

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The forage/field service cap as your great uncle is seen wearing I think was discontinued in December 1943 probably because of the issue of berets. I found this link which shows Royal Marines wearing forage caps. The quality of the picture is very poor but the storyline is a powerful one and should be read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/57/a3723257.shtml

I have reproduced the picture below. Just seen Nicks reply above...

in addition for a better picture look at this combined ops link. Top left pic which can be enlarged - forage/field service caps....scroll down for a ww2 pic of a marine in dress uniform
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.combinedops.com/NOTICE%2520BOARDS/jpg_group_williamson.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.combinedops.com/notice%2520board%2520veterans.htm&usg=__XDV_8XQ-tdY9o4W-oaMrY5hQb6M=&h=503&w=1140&sz=71&hl=en&start=14&um=1&tbnid=KIQA-o3rtHkQ7M:&tbnh=66&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dww2%2Broyal%2Bmarines%2Bshoulder%2Bboards%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4HPEA_en-GBGB310GB310
[Thumb - forage caps.jpg]
 Filename forage caps.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description look closely and you can see the forage caps
 Filesize 10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  513 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 05/02/2009 10:58:24

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Mark Smith
Forum Member

Thanks very much everybody . You have been most helpful.
Mark.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

I spoke today with a Veteran of 47RM Commando who was with your great uncle when he was killed. I am not sure what you have discovered as yet about the circumstances but feel free to contact me either here, or by email or pm, for more details

Regards

Pete R.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Mark Smith
Forum Member

I spoke to Arthur on sunday and had a nice chat with him. He spoke quite fondly of Harold and told me about the fact that he was right next to Harold when he was shot as they attacked a german gun implacement on Walcheren. The best part for me was the fact that he was able to tell me about Harold as a man such as the comments that Harold was always smart and 'looked like a soldier and walked like a soldier'. He also told me that Harold could speak french which we would never have known had it not been for Arhtur.
In turn Arthur seemed please to find out a little about Harolds family and the fact that we are still thinking about him and keeping his memory alive after all these years.
I'd like to say a big thank you to Pete for alerting me to Arthurs existence and for arranging for me to speak to him. This really was a fantastic opportunity. Thank you.

Mark Smith
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

I recall when I first found this website and the CVA that one of the first people to respond to me was the late Bob Bishop who knew my father and uncle from his time in No. 2 Cdo. Shortly after I was fortunate enough to have contact with Eric Buckmaster and Walter Ainslie who were in the same troop as my father and uncle. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been able to speak with, and learn from, these three Commando Veterans as I know so many others have not had that opportunity. I am very pleased that Arthur remembered your great uncle Harold and was able to pass on his memories to you. Arthur is going over to Walcheren I believe in November, as he has done for many years. So the timing could not have been more appropriate as they will be remembering your great uncle and all the other Fallen whilst they are there.

In Memory of Company Sergeant Major HAROLD HENRY PLANK
No. 47 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines
who died age 26 on 02 November 1944
Remembered with honour at the BERGEN-OP-ZOOM WAR CEMETERY

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/47RM+Commando/Harold+Plank/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/09/2012 00:35:16

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger