commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Arthur Bailey 46 R.M. troop B  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Nipper
Forum Member

Hi there,

I?m just trying to find out info on my Grandad, I believe he was in troop B 46 commando, I know he was a POW, but I have no other information than this, he was a very proud man, especially of being a Marine and I would love to know further information if any one has any about his journey during his time in the military, unfortunately there is no one in my family who is able to give me any information.

Thank you
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There is a 46 family and friends on Facebook run by Jeff Hewitt. Look him up he?s co writing a second book on 46, check out the photo gallery on here as well.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A Bailey is in the 46 nominal roll B troop. Chatham div service number.
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I believe he is in this photo.
[Thumb - 816421CD-CB9E-4B7E-AF43-DB085959DFE4.jpeg]
 Filename 816421CD-CB9E-4B7E-AF43-DB085959DFE4.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description 46. B troop.
 Filesize 80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  203 time(s)

Nipper
Forum Member

Thank you for your reply, I will have a look for the fb group
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Nipper

Do you have a good photo of your Grandad. If so attach it here and I will add it to the information I have found on your Grandad or if any difficulty contact me by email (see email button below after my name).

A brief history of 46RM Commando can be found here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/46RMCommando

Your Grandad Mne. Arthur Bailey is as Craig said listed in our nominal roll for 46RM Commando which can be found here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/46CommandoNomRollAtoD

The photo of B Troop can be better viewed in our Gallery here: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/46/Btroop.jpg.html

Your Grandad was captured on the 11th June 1944 during operations at Rots and Le Hamel, Normandy, on 11 June 1944 and was apparently released when his prison camp was overrun by the 11th Armoured Division near Lubeck in May 1945 [Source: The Story of 46RM Commando by Capt. P.K.W. Johnson RM].

Your Grandad was held in captivity at Marlag and Milad Nord prisoner of war camp at Westertimke Germany and his prisoner of war number was 82540 [Source: National archives file ADM 201/111 Royal Marines Prisoners of War].

There is a slight variation in the service number we have and that shown on the POW Record. It has after the prefix the numbers 104476 whereas we have 104446. Do the family have any documentation that shows his service number?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Your Grandad was also a member of the original Commando Association. He is listed in the Obituaries of Commando Association newsletter 112 issued March 2001 as
Marine Arthur Bailey of Lancing, Sussex.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Nipper
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your reply, I will have a look through my photos and see if I have any decent ones, I don?t unfortunately have any other information re his service number etc.
It?s nice to finally be able to get some information about what happened, he didn?t really talk about it when he was alive.

I will see if I can find a nice photo of him.

Thank you
keith
Forum Member

Hello,
My name is keith Taylor and I wrote the book The Waist-High Cornfield which describes the grounding of 46 RMC from mainly the 9th RM Batallion and also from Marines taken off warships. I have the written the whole detailed event what happen in the French village of Rots when your grandad was taken prisoner by the 12th SS Hitlerjugend and what happened to them later.
You can contact me via email

[email protected]

I live in Hamburg quite close to where 46 RMC saw action later in the war. I have large archive about your grandad's Commando Unit and as a relative Ill give you free access to it.

Please contact me

Keith

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger