commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
RE: My Father Ernest James Poyner - 40 (RM) Commando, Q Troop - Sarande, Corfu, Comacchio  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Allan Poyner
Forum Member

Hi

I'd like to see my father added to the nominal roll please and also see if anyone has any info.

He was CH/X 108764, I have his service certificate - attached - medals and parachute wings - he did parachute training with Q Troop in March 1945 at Gioa del Colle airfield. He was still in touch with Sam Plim and in a short memoir he left behind mentions Sam Plim with regard to Sarande and stretchering Lt Murphy down from Point 507. During Operation Impact at Comacchio on April 11th he was in the section of Q Troop that formed the boating party - he was cast adrift in a boat across the lake at some point and Sam Plim and others assumed he'd been taken prisoner, but he made his way back to the dyke and met up with X Troop on their way to the pumping station.

Prior to becoming a Royal Marines Commando he was in 11th Battalion Royal Marines, serving under Colonel Sankey and Captain MacPherson , before the 11th Battalion was disbanded and they joined 40 Commando .. Captain MacPherson being one of the fatalities during the Sarande attack.

My Father passed away August 2009.

[Thumb - DadCdoCertificateColour.jpg]
 Filename DadCdoCertificateColour.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description My Father
 Filesize 1019 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  255 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/05/2020 15:46:34

Allan Poyner
Forum Member

A picture showing my Father at the 1995 reunion on the Isle of Wight... I have have the colour original but not to hand...
[Thumb - 1995reunion.jpg]
 Filename 1995reunion.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 665 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  240 time(s)

Allan Poyner
Forum Member

My Father (left) on Corfu, with a local and another chap on the right - unknown but could be Sam Plim?

The dog featured and the setting is remarkably similar to the one posted by Gibbsuk here of his father Walter Andrew Gibbbs...
[Thumb - OnCorfu.JPG]
 Filename OnCorfu.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 708 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  248 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 25/05/2020 17:29:03

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Allan
Great photos. Can you confirm your father had a third middle name of Arthur ?.
If you have a good photo of him on his own can you post it as well please, either in uniform or civvies.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Allan Poyner
Forum Member

Hi Pete, yes, can confirm that he was Ernest James Arthur Poyner ....

Pics attached - the portrait is pre-Commando, as is the other one which was taken in Kandy....

[Thumb - IMG_5214.JPG]
 Filename IMG_5214.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description My father in Kandy, 1943
 Filesize 371 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  241 time(s)

[Thumb - DADASMARINE_600X387___1_.JPG]
 Filename DADASMARINE_600X387___1_.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description My Father marine portrait
 Filesize 101 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  227 time(s)

Allan Poyner
Forum Member

Hi Pete, also found the colour version of the 1995 reunion photo, attached if you would like to use it somewhere... it is a photo of a photo on a wall rather than a scan....
[Thumb - IMG_7441.JPG]
 Filename IMG_7441.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description 1995 Reunion
 Filesize 792 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  228 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Allan

I have now added your photos to our 40RM Commando gallery. The black and white one of the reunion was slightly better resolution so I added that one. Here is a link to a sub album for your Father:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/40+RM+Cdo/Poyner/

The reunion one with names (some of which we did not have so i have added the to our nominal roll) is in the top row of page 1 and the Corfu photo is on page 2. If you wish to add a comment against any photo just register on the Gallery (separate to forum registration) and once logged in and viewing the photo you will see you can'add a comment'.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Allan Poyner
Forum Member

Hi Pete

I am delighted you have added the photos and narrative to the gallery.. and pleased that the reunion picture was useful too...

A sincere thank you for your prompt replies and actions, its made me very happy to see him be added to the nominal roll and gallery...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/05/2020 09:26:55

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger