commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
15th Comando Course 1942  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
TScott
Forum Member

Hello, I'm afraid I don't have much information to offer, rather a question. I have come into a small collection of my grandfathers photos Archibald Scott B: 1910 Newbattle Scotland. I know he was in the British Occupied Zone of Hanover 1946. I'm wondering if the penned note on top of photo "Sandgate - 15th Comando Course 42" is correct for this image? I'm afraid I haven't been able to seek any military records as yet, just starting. Thanking you for any feedback.
[Thumb - Sandgate 15th Commando Course 1942.jpg]
 Filename Sandgate 15th Commando Course 1942.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 954 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  179 time(s)

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,

Sandgate was at Shorncliffe in Kent. The guys in the front row have APTC on their jackets, indicating they are instructing staff at the Army Physical Training Centre.
It's only a guess but it could be that the guys in white vests are being trained as PTIs (Physical Training Instructors) before being attached to:

(a) The CBTC (Commando Basic Training Centre) Achnacarry,
(b) The HOC (Holding Operational Commando) Wrexham.
(c) the various Commando Units. Commando Units had PTIs attached to the Unit but, as a rule, they did not go into operational theatres with the Commando; however, there is certainly one record of a PTI managing to smuggle himself onto a raid...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A few bits and pieces I found about the area with sources:

Beachborough Battle School a couple of miles from Sandgate. There were some Commando Instructors there. Source: The Real 'Dad's Army': The War Diaries of Colonel Rodney Foster.
Hythe was the location of the Army Small Arms School Source: It Had to be Tough by Maj. James Dunning (No.4 Cdo TSM and later instructor).
In his book It had to be Tough he talks of the regime of PT Training when in No.4 who were based for a period at Weymouth, describing their PT kit as white vest, blue shorts, brown plimsoles .

Shorncliffe Army Camp was between Cheriton and Sandgate. Source: National Archives WO/78/489.
(There was a series of barracks there).

Can you advise me of the date your Grandfather died ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/05/2020 13:51:37

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
TScott
Forum Member

Thank you Pete and Nick for your responses. I will start looking in Kent!! Archibald Scott died in 1991 in Sydney Australia. I have attached a photo of him in a uniform but I'm afraid I have still no idea what/where to look for in terms of British occupied Hanover 1946-48?
[Thumb - uniform.JPG]
 Filename uniform.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  204 time(s)

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger