commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Bugle Corporal Leonard George Rayfield, RM (No. 41 Commando)  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
GMS
Forum Member

Dear All,

I am looking for any information on CH.X.567 Bugle Corporal Leonard George Rayfield, RM.

What I know so far
:

1) Medal entitlements - 1939-45 Star, Italy Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medals, RN Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, GVI 1st type bust (CH.X.567 L.G. RAYFIELD. BUGLE.CPL. R.M.). The last was awarded Oct. 16, 1948.

2) Rayfield is pictured in a photograph on the Forum as part of "The volunteer drum and bugle band of the 8th Battalion RM in 1942" - " Cpl L G Rayfield (Drum Major)".

Would it be safe to assume that Rayfield served with the 8th Battalion all the way through the war?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance,

Glenn

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 18/05/2020 16:11:36

craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The 8th Battalion became 41 Royal Marines Commando so he would have finished his war with them as the battalions disbanded. 41 was the second RM Commando formed.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
GMS
Forum Member

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, that's what I thought, so he presumably would have landed in Sicily, on the Italian mainland, and on D-Day.

Glenn
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yes Glenn.

Do you have the service records.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
GMS
Forum Member

No, I do not have his service record.

My understanding is this can be a long process, without any guarantee of a favorable outcome.

Glenn

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 18/05/2020 23:14:00

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The manpower establishment of RM Battalions was larger in size to that of Commando units. When the changes occurred there were many who did not go on to Commando training, and, if they passed, serve in the Commandos for this and other reasons, these Marines usually being posted for Combined Operations Landing Craft duties. RM service records can sometimes be lacking in specific detail however I have seen many that show much more. Without applying for it you will never know what it contains.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Extract from the book Tracing Your Royal Marine Ancestors, authors Richard Brooks and Matthew Little and published in association with the Royal Marines Museum
[Thumb - Formation of the RM Cdos.PNG]
 Filename Formation of the RM Cdos.PNG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  197 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
GMS
Forum Member

Thank you, Pete.

Because Rayfield was in one of the original commando groups, it looks as though he would have been engaged in their primary role through the rest of the war. However, I will now attempt to get his service record.

With much appreciation,

Glenn

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger