commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for information on Commando Frederick Naylor  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
JamieN
Forum Member

Hi,

Hoping someone here can help me find information on my Grandfather Frederick Naylor.

My father recently handed down to me his service certificate and dagger (picture attached)

I've tried looking up information using the certificate but don't really know what I'm doing. Would be amazing if someone here could help point me in the right direction or share any information they have/find.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie
[Thumb - IMG-20200509-WA0009.jpg]
 Filename IMG-20200509-WA0009.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Commando Fred Naylor Service Certificate
 Filesize 187 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  347 time(s)

craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Your grandfather was a Chatham division marine upon joining and was a commando from August 1943 when the marine divisions reformed as commandos and landing craft crews.

The people on here will assist you, browse the galleries and get any info you have on here, others may see something that helps them as well as you.

You need to apply for his service records.

Best wishes

CRAIG.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

There is a marine Naylor ( no other details) listed in the 44 Royal Marines Commando nominal roll. Take a look at the links and 44 you never know, it could be your man.
JamieN
Forum Member

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for coming back to me.

I've checked out the nominal roll and can see the Naylor in 44 Royal Marines Commando, but also found a Frederick Naylor in No 5 Commando and an F Naylor in No 1 Commando.

Is there a chance he could have moved between them? Seems quite unlikely there'd be so many F Naylor's as it's not a very common surname (only 0.03% of people in the UK have it).

Applying for his record is a great idea though. Do you know how long the process usually takes?
JamieN
Forum Member

I've done some more digging and found out that No.44 RM Commando, No.5 Commando and No.1 Commando all served in the Far East under the 3rd Commando Brigade between 1943 - 1946.

Could this be why his name appears in all 3?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/05/2020 11:51:30

craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Your grandad was most likely in 44 as he was a Royal Marine, the other units are Army Commandos. Not saying he wasn?t in those units but doubtful.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jamie

The Private Frederick Naylor referred to in the Army Commando units resided in Keighley Yorkshire. This is confirmed in the newsletters of the original Commando Association. Where did your Grandfather reside and do you know the date he died. If you have some photos please post them. Let me know if you have any difficulties.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
JamieN
Forum Member

So after what seems like an age, I've finally received through his service records from the MOD.

I'm struggling to understand what a lot of it means, but hopefully some of you here might be able to assist.

Here's what I know so far:

Frederick Thomas Naylor - CH/X103937
Born: 21st December 1922
Resided in Marylebone London
Enlisted 17th April 1941 at Exmouth

Served in the following divisions:
Exmouth: 17th Apr 41 - 23 Jun 41
HBL RM Division: 24th Jun 41 - 31st July 43
HBL RM Commando: 1st Aug 43 - 16th Jan 46
Chatham Division: 17th Jan 46 - 26th Mar 46

Awarded the following medals:
France and Germany Star
Defence Medal
War Medal

Based on his "Ribbons and Emblem" form, it looks like he was in the Royal Marine Engineer Commando 1 Troop from 12.1.45 until 14.6.45. Can't seem to find anything on them.

Let me know if you spot anything else obvious or can help find any additional information.

Happy to share pictures of the things they sent through but not sure how useful it is.

All the best,
Jamie

craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

You?re grandad is missing 39-45 star?

There is some info on RM Commando engineers on the RM museum site.

Be interesting to see where else he served, can you post photos of his service documents, they will have clues.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jamie,

Further to previous replies, the Pte Frederick Naylor, listed in No.5 Commando's nominal roll, served in the DLI (Durham Light Infantry) prior to becoming a commando.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
JamieN
Forum Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses so far.

See attached the relevant service forms from the recent MOD request.

Trying to work my way through it but there's a lot of jargon and abbreviations I have to keep looking up!

Hopefully this helps shine some light on his past postings.

Service-and-Casualty-Form-F-T-Naylor

Identity-Book-F-T-Naylor

Medals-Form-F-T-Naylor

Thanks,
Jamie

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/08/2020 10:58:50

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jamie

In 1943 he was in the RM Engineer Company. The Service and Casualty Form you posted shows what appears to be ditto marks followed by Cdo around April 44. There then follows further references to Eng Cdo and to HQ SS Gp (Headquarters Special Service Group). So what is clear is that his commando service was as RM Engineer Commando in 1 Troop. A little bit more about them can be found here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/RMEngineerCommando

From January 1945 it looks like he was attached to 1 Commando Brigade. Commando Engineers like Signallers were moved around to where they were needed most. Where you see HOC, that is the Holding Operational Commando.

Do you have a better photo of your Grandad ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/08/2020 19:49:45

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
JamieN
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Hope you're well!

Thanks for all your responses so far. I've been trying to get hold of more photos of my grandfather, but unfortunately my father has them all in folders and he's being very slow in organising them. This is this is the only one I've managed to find...

I'm wondering how it's possible that he wasn't awarded the 1939-45 Star? He's been awarded the F. and C. medal so thought the prior would have been a given. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?

Also, maybe another silly question but what was the HQ SS Gp (Headquarters Special Service Group)? I can't seem to find anything on it.
EDIT - found the answer to this in "By Sea By Land" on page 481. For anyone interested: "In November 1944 the titles of this Group and its Brigades were changed from SS - which was associated with Nazi Storm Troopers - to Commando"

Thanks,
Jamie
[Thumb - IMG-20200509-WA0008.jpg]
 Filename IMG-20200509-WA0008.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Picture of Pte Fred Naylor
 Filesize 88 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  184 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 08/05/2021 21:15:55

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jamie

It is mentioned in the archive here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/history

and also here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/SpecialServiceBde

The photo you posted appears to have the photographers hand clearly reflected?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/05/2021 22:31:14

[Email]
JamieN
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

As you've noticed my father isn't the best with technology I've asked him to take another without the glare. Will share once I have it!

Looking through the gallery archives now to see if I can find him somewhere.

Cheers,
Jamie

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger