commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Earnest Lacey, No5 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Alex
Forum Member

Hi all

I believe my grandfather served with 5 commando and I would like to find out any info about him. A few years ago i sent off for his served records and until I locate them here is what I recall.

1940 joined Cameron highlanders

1941/42 joined 5 commando

44-45 served in madagascar and burma and was eventually promoted to rank of Csgt and received a mention in dispatches.

If anyone knows of him and especially what his MiD citation was I would be most interested to hear from you.

Also according to my father (my grandfathers's son) he had a long scar across his chest (how did he receive this and where?) and all he ever said about his wartime experiences was that some of his mates never returned- who were they?

I look forward to any response

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/08/2009 10:54:17

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Alex,
welcome aboard - it's good to see another person looking for info on No5 - the more people we have the more likerly we are to find out snippets and piece together the bigger picture.

There are a few photos of No5 Commandos on here - have a look as there may be a chance you can recognise your G/F...
also if you have any of him post them up.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 31/01/2009 23:18:48

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Alex
Forum Member

Checked back to look at some of the 5 Commando photos and I think I've spotted him! Just waiting for confirmation from older family members then I'll annotate the photo.
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Alex
My late dad Robert Donnison joined No5 in 1941 .The Commando served in Madagascar in 1942 so there is a good chance my dad knew yr grandfather

SE Donnison
[MSN]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger