commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No.2 Commando Eric Buckmaster and HMT Dunnottar Castle  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

After a recent forum discussion which mentioned the troopship HMT Dunnottar Castle, which I knew No.2 sailed to Gibralter on, I sent Eric a picture of the ship and he replied to me with some of his memories of what life was like on board during that rather lengthy journey there.
http://www.maritimematters.com/princesa-victoria1.html

I want to thank Eric for allowing me to share his memories with you all

Peter,
I was most pleased to receive your Note and the lovely Photograph of the Old Boat. I was amazed to learn that she had continued in Service as a Cruise Ship until 2004. It appeared relatively old to us in 1943, although there was nothing of the Cruise Liner about it when we were on Board.

It was set out in Mess Deck Areas at different Levels. Officers,& Sgts & WOs. were housed separately. Each Dwelling Area for Other Ranks, had some 20 very Sturdy Fixed Wooden Tables, with Forms. Men were allocated to given Mess Tables which had a limited number of steel/iron Dishes and Kitchen Utensils. Each table would hold about 20 men ( 10 per side)
We slept in Sailing Ship type Hammocks, which had to be slung above or around the Mess Tables. Some few had Mattresses for any floor spaces. Everything had to be Taken Down and Stowed Away in Side Bins for the Captain's Rounds each Day. The impression of it has always stayed with me. It was like living in a Greasy Spoon.

Two Men from each Mess Table were responsible each day for going to the Stores below Decks, to draw the Food for the Day. Vegetables had to be peeled etc. Then it was taken down to the Galley where they Cooked the parts of the meal that needed to be cooked. Then you had to get your own Trays back, and the two men on Duty each day had to make sure that each man got his Share, and then had to wash up their Tables and Dishes & Utensils.
Cleaning Cloths & Soap were almost Non Existant.

Can you imagine the Contrast for Volunteer rather spoiled Soldiers, who had lived in Civilian Billets for some time, with Landladies who made the Porridge for Breakfast or provided Meals during the Day when required.

Officers & NCOs had waiters, men who volunteered for the task, and probably found it a cushy number.

With so many men needing Facilities !!!, The Loos were timber Platforms along the Whole of each side of the Ship, with appropriate Holes cut out for the seats. They projected out over the Sea, one always felt a bit precarious. You had to climb up on to them, and if you looked down you could see the water rushing by below. There was some Screening but not much privacy.

We embarked one Lunch time, and set out from the Clyde during the evening, sailing past the North of Ireland. A huge Convoy of some 40 Ships, a very Motley collection of Boats, with three Destroyers in attendance.

It took us nearly 6 weeks to get to Gibraltar, I imagine because we were following diversionary Routes planned or plotted to avoid Submarines. At one stage it was said that we had almost reached the Coast of America. How true this was I don't know.

One thing I do remember is that on the first night out, quite a number of people were a little upset by the motion of the Ship, and the Galley served up Tripe for the Evening Meal. Some just didn't want it.

I was very lucky, in that the Sea motion did not affect me very much and I was Hungry. I got about three men's portions of Tripe and slung my Hammock that night very replete.

There was all sorts of stuff stacked around the Decks, but there were some spaces and weather permitting we trotted around in the spaces available, and or climbed the ship's lifting Derricks for exercise.

------------------------------------

This is not a moan, but an observation, in our experience Commando Soldiers did not often fare over well when it came to feeding. This was partly due to the inadequacies of the British army specifications on Food, and partly due to lack of experience.

Jimmy Smith confided to me one day that he had managed to Burn the Tea.

Wherever you did not have a Cookhouse or Catering Section, you were dependant upon what was issued to your Unit or Section. The Containers were not synonymous with each other. A Tin of Beans might be shared between 6 men. A Tin of Bacon between 10 men, a Tin of Sausages between 8 men. The Tins would be Boiled up in a Dixie, and issued Hot when thought to be ready. They had to be opened, and then Matched with the numbers of men for each Tin. Someone invariably went short of something.

On the Island of Vis, where we were dependant upon Boats getting over, we were often very Hungry. On one occasion we captured Two German Schooners full of various kinds of Produce, intended for their Island Garrisons, Flour , Pickles, Tubs of Fresh Butter. We lived well for a week or two.

Most of the Flour was given to the Partisans, and a Baker made them Bread, but they preferred the Dry Tack biscuits that we were given, and they used to come and ask us to swap with them, which we were happy to do.

It used to be said that in the American Army they had 7 ½ men to back up each member of the front line troops. With the British Army it was 2 ½ men. What ever may be the truth of it, on the matter of Food Rations they were better organised than us .

For a short period in Sicily, we were attached to the American 5th Army, to lead them in at Salerno. We were put on to American style rations. They had Boxes of what were known as 5 in 1 Rations. Each box was allocated to 5 Men. It contained 5 Packets of Breakfast Cereal, 5 Pouches of preserved Milk , 5 Packets of Biscuits, 5 little packets of Cigarettes, 5 Chocolate Bars, 5 Fruit Juice. It was 5 of everything needed for the Day.

Also the combinations within the Boxes were variable, so that you could have a different mix on different days. To some of us it was Heaven, but after only a few weeks some people were complaining that they wanted to get back on to proper British Food. !!!.

Peter, as you can see your Picture of the Old Troop Ship has evoked several memories. Thank you for sending it. Eric.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 22/01/2012 14:43:36

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

Thanks for your post and thanks to Eric for the information.
I don't know what ship my dad was on but their stories are almost identical although Eric has provided a little more detail. I do recall my dad mentioning the hammocks below deck.He also said they passed the time playing a card game called "solo" where no money changed hands but a ledger was kept.

Gibraltar, Salerno , Vis, thier routes are the same so I'm sure they must have crossed paths at some point.

Regarding the soft billets,porridge etc.It was while billetted in Ayr that my dad met my mom.When my dad got his orders to shipout they got married in April. I only add this as it might help with the time lines or jog a memory of when people sailed for Gibratar.

Thanks adding for adding a little more to the puzzle for me.

Lindsay
Roy Evans
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Yet another link with wartime number 2.

My uncle was Harry Dennis Lumm (ex Beds & Herts) joined in Summer/Autumn 1941 and went through to Italy 1945 via Gib, Sicily, Salerno Vis etc.etc.

he died a few years ago but the name Eric Buckmaster is one I remember him talking about.

If Eric is still with us, remember Harry Lumm (from the boxing team) to him.

Cheers, Roy Evans.
Roy Evans
Forum Member

Hi again,

I forgot to mention Harry was in 4 troop number 2.

Cheers, Roy.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger