commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Grandfather sbs from royal Sussex?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Jamesfowler
Forum Member

Hi,

My grandfather was in the sbs during ww2. I have a few random photos of him training & with his platoon.

His name was Alfred Fowler or Alf/alfie he was especially proud to have served but like many he came home with malaria & probably PTSD as it would be known now.

I know he was in Burma from around 1942 & didn't return to England until 1946, his family thought the worst of course! He returned home with a leg of lamb(no idea how he got it due to rationing) but said he spent 6 years eating berries and nuts and ate the whole leg himself lol. ..

Sadly being his generation only know a few parts of his wartime, I've heard he used to swim up rivers and blow up things but unsure what, he did have a draw full of burnt Japanese money that we used to play with as kids lol. I still have his fighting knife and his hat.

The sad part I've heard stories that they were captured by the Japanese and they did bayonet practice on some of the soldiers,vmy grandfather had a scar from the bottom of his chin to top unsure if related or just from combat. His friend who my father is named after wasn't so lucky. Even in his old age before cancer him he was an unbelievable swimmer, he used to swim around the palace pier in Brighton with my dad on his back to the horror of my nan!

Anyway I'd love to find out more about him I know not many left now but he was my hero & father figure.

He mentioned he used a bren gun but my memory could be wrong & I have a photo of him firing a mortar . After Ww2 he went on to become a fireman for 30 years. He was especially upset at having to kill a Japanese dog that was set on him & that they used to hide in trees to ambush them soldiers not dogs that is. I've also heard the Australians liberated him from capture bit again this could be mixed up in time, I know he loved the Gurkhas said they was as tough as nails.

Another sad part is when he was passing away he kept on about all them men dead all them men in that field Rick just dead all of them. This haunts me to this day it really does.

War is so sad isn't it, my grandfather like me was a gentle kind loving man, he still was after ww2 but it makes me sad to think what he had to do to other people.

I remember saying grandad you must hate the Germans/Japanese & he said to me "son they were just soldiers" I don't hate anyone. Them words have stayed with me for life & I miss him every single day.

Sorry for the rant,,! Would I be able to find more info on what he did in Burma? Or anything like that,?

PS layer in life he never ate bbq food as it reminded him of the jungle lol & he never flew as he said he always took off but never landed!

Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello James,
most likely 2 SBS who were posted to the Far East although a bit later than 42 if I remember correctly, there are a few books available, a search on Kindle should come up trumps.
Alan.
The one by GB Courtney is probably the best, 4.99 on Kindle.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/03/2020 13:01:23

Jamesfowler
Forum Member

Thanks for reply. I'm thinking of donating his hat and fairbairn toba museum in Brighton if it was something they would be interested in. It's my pride and joy but I'd love others to seevitnadnwell
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Deleted and reposted below.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 18/03/2020 14:34:31

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi James
Do you have anymore information about your Grandfathers service that might help us, ie. you mention Royal Sussex so was that his Regiment. Can you confirm that he was therefore in the Army not the Royal Navy/Royal Marines, do you know his service number and rank. Feel free to post your photos as attachments on this forum thread with as much detail as is known about each. We have image size restrictions but if you have any problems contact me by email (see below) and I will assist you.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Jamesfowler
Forum Member

Hi he was originally I'n the royal Sussex I believe but I know he was definitely in the sbs after. I know he was an engineer before the war. We did have his uniform with the commando tag on it but after he passed family members took some.thimgs. I can find his number from my uncle at some point.

I have more photos but this is only one to hand.
[Thumb - IMG_20200204_114156_520.jpg]
 Filename IMG_20200204_114156_520.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 140 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  252 time(s)

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger