commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Service Record  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Bkcherry
Forum Member

My father Andrew Elliott Cherry joined the RM in May 1942 and served with the Combined Operations Group from 1943 through the invasion of Sicily, Anzio landings and the Adriatic. He served on LCG 19 and I found a picture of him to the left of Harold Dilling on an internet site called Combined Operations by Christine Cawdron. On his service record I see entries of HBL RM. my father always said he was a Bren Gunner and a Commando. Is he eligible for entry into this site ?
[Thumb - F1C7DEB1-C02B-451C-93D5-6460D5BD5EF0.jpeg]
 Filename F1C7DEB1-C02B-451C-93D5-6460D5BD5EF0.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 920 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  191 time(s)

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Bkcherry

Unlike today not all Royal Marines in WW2 were commando trained. From what you have posted it appears he was part of Combined Operations serving on Landing Craft. Royal Marines records are woefully short quite often on specifics so it is always difficult to state for sure one way or the other. However we do know that Royal Marines serving in Combined Operations Group who were not commando trained served as crew of Landing Craft. Feel free to post a photo of your Father here however before we can post anything into our gallery we have to have confirmation of service in a particular Commando unit. Depending on when you applied for your Father?s service record, you may wish to check if there is anything more on Victualling Records. Have a read of this page of our Service Record guide: http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bkcherry
Forum Member

Thanks Pete. Tried to load his training record but couldn?t. Let?s see if this works.
[Thumb - 3E0B990E-C555-491A-8CE7-CF17D863E71A.jpeg]
 Filename 3E0B990E-C555-491A-8CE7-CF17D863E71A.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  185 time(s)

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger