commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for info on Members of 4 Commando in Dorset circa 1943  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
John Shephard
Forum Member

Greetings from a new member

Our museum here in Gillingham, Dorset is wanting to put together a portfolio of recollections of local events in WW2 in preparation for the forthcoming VE Day commemorations. I would love to contribute my very fond memories of four NCO?s from 4 Commando who were billeted with us at some time (I would guess) before the raid on Dieppe.

So my first query is whether there is any information about the date when 4 Commando were billeted in the Gillingham and Shaftesbury area of North Dorset, and how long they were here.

Now for names. The one man that my parents kept in touch with for many years after the war was Christopher Birmingham who lived in Troon. He was I think in G Troop (later it seems to become B Troop?). He must have been at Lofoten and seen active service before he stayed with us. The quietest of the four, but with natural Irish charm.

The others are more problematic because all I can remember are nicknames and first names respectively. They were Pop and Jerry. As the name suggests Pop was slightly older than the others but I very quickly became his adoptive son when he was in the house. I remember little about Jerry and I sadly cannot recall the name of the fourth one in the group.
Any info that forum members have would be of tremendous help and will I promise be properly acknowledged in anything in print

John
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John,

Well the first name, Christopher Birmingham, is obviously the easiest to ID and he's certainly on the No.4 Cdo nominal roll as: 7013529 Cpl Christopher Birmingham, Royal Ulster Rifles.

There is a 'Jerry' listed as: 3199275 WOII (CSM) John 'Jerry' Flynn, Kings Own Scottish Borderers. I have him as a L/Cpl at the time of the Dieppe Raid in 1942.
But there are also a couple of Gerrys:
6291136 Pte Gerry Swailes, BUFFS.
2572639 Pte Gerry Francis Lynn, Kings Regt.
Pte Lynn was the only one of the above who was not involved in the Dieppe Raid...

Sadly, there is no 'Pop' listed in the No.4 Cdo Nominal Roll.

But there are a lot of photos of No.4 Commando in the Website's unique Gallery and not all the commandos pictured have been identified! May I suggest you follow this link and have a good browse through the photos! Click on the thumbnail to 'open' the image, then click again to enlarge the image... The thumbnails in a grey frame indicate it is a sub-album with other photos inside.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/

If you can identify your commandos on any of the photos in the Gallery, the Admin would like to know...

Nick

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 12/03/2020 21:01:08

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi John

My name is Bill Harvey Dad was No 4. Chris Birmingham has passed on as have a lot of No 4 Commando. I will post this on the No 4 Commando Facebook and put any reply on here.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John,

With regards No.4 Cdo in Dorset, what we do know is that in mid-July 1940, No.4 Commando was formed in Weymouth and based its HQ in the requisitioned Pavillion on the pier.

One of the unique features of the new force of Commandos was the prerequisite that each individual - officers and other ranks alike - would be responsible for his own quartering and feeding. All ranks were given a daily 'subsistence' allowance and were expected to live in local 'digs' or billets.
Not all the billets were in Weymouth itself, but in the surrounding villages.
Each commando was expected to be 'on parade' first thing in the morning, having found his own way to the parade square - which in No.4 Cdo's case was Weymouth beach...

Having said all this, Gillingham and Shaftsbury seem a very long way to travel even for the most enterprising commando in War time Britain! ...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

John Shephard wrote:Now for names. The one man that my parents kept in touch with for many years after the war was Christopher Birmingham who lived in Troon. He was I think in G Troop (later it seems to become B Troop?). He must have been at Lofoten and seen active service before he stayed with us. The quietest of the four, but with natural Irish charm.

John & Nick

Christopher Birmingham was born in Ireland in 1920. 4 Commando were billeted in Troon, this is where he met and married his wife in March 1941. Sadly, he died in Troon on 10th October 2005 aged 85

Good luck with your research
Guy
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Guy,

No.4 Cdo moved to Ayrshire in late 1940 but were back in the Weymouth area again in '42...

Nick.

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Trying to check for relatives of Chris Birmingham.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
John Shephard
Forum Member

Nick, Bill and Guy

Very many thanks for your work on my behalf and your helpful suggestions.

I see that Troon has a Facebook page. I will join the group and post asking if Chris Birmingham has surviving family or friends who might have insights into his war record and his friends in 4 Cdo. We had Commando Christmas cards from Chris for very many years and hopefully he will have kept in touch with the men he served with, possibly those that were billeted with us. I'm pretty sure he worked for GPO after the war so I would imagine he was fairly well known in the town.

Let's hope this one has further to run.

Thanks again for all your help

John
GUY
Forum Member

John,
Christopher Birmingham had three children:

Hester N. Birmingham born in 1943
Christopher John Birmingham 1945 -2010
Robert J Birmingham born in 1950

Guy
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Many Thanks Guy.

Bill

Bill Harvey
John Shephard
Forum Member

Most grateful, Guy. That makes a very good starting point.
John
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John

I am on both Troon forums do you want me to post for you?

Janet is following up to see if they are still in Troon.

Bill

Bill Harvey
John Shephard
Forum Member

Bill

That's a very generous offer, I'm most grateful.

I still have my mother's address book and the address she has in it for Chris is 57 North Shore Road if that helps.

Actually I am no stranger to Troon. I stayed in the town during the 1960's when I first joined ICI at Ardeer. Its a lovely place and I have fond memories.

John
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John

Chris stayed on his own with the family visiting. We think they family no longer stay in Troon.

I grew up in Troon stayed at Aldersyde Avenue Muirhead.

Will copy and paste your request for information.

Best wishes

Bill

Bill Harvey
GUY
Forum Member

John & Bill
Hester Birmingham married David ALexander GEMMELL at Troon in 1966
There is a photograph of Hester on the Haywards Heath Golf Club Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/HaywardsHeathGolfClub/posts/hester-gemmell-has-won-the-langmead-cup-with-an-excellent-702nd-was-lorna-tuttle/2228690443851344/

I will forward an address by P.M.
Guy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/03/2020 15:55:46

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger