commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Ron Youngman, General Secretary of the Commando Association 1987 - 2005  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It is with much sadness that we advise you of the recent death of Ron Youngman on Sunday 1st March 2020. Ron was a former General Secretary and Treasurer of the original Commando Association. He had not been well for several years now and our deepest condolences go out to his wife Wendy and all their Family.

Ron's official role within the original Commando Association goes back to 1985 when he began helping out Henry Brown OBE, their National Secretary, in an administrative capacity. However his links with the Association go back much further. Ron's father, Pte. R.H. Youngman of No.4 Commando was sadly killed in action on DDay.

Ron's role in the Commando Association increased and by September 1987 Ron had become their Honorary General Secretary. In 1991 he took on the role of General Secretary and Treasurer and remained as such until the Association made a decision to stand down in 2005.

So many of our WW2 veterans knew Ron. He was their first point of contact for many years if they needed help or just wanted a friendly chat. After the Association stood down, Ron helped out with the everyday administration of the Commando Benevolent Fund again being the first point of contact for those in need.

Ron was of a great help to me when I first involved myself with this Archive. I always respected his great knowledge of Commando history and his words of wisdom drawn from his years of experience within the Commando family.

Rest in peace Ron.
[Thumb - Ron Youngman.jpg]
 Filename Ron Youngman.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  236 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/06/2020 22:22:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Very sad news.
Rest in Eternal Peace Ron.

Nick Collins

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

We give thanks for Ron and his service to the Commando Association Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Wendy and all their Family.

God bless.

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/03/2020 19:41:16

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

RIP Ron.

It was a pleasure to have known you. Thanks for all you did for the Commandos.

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Ron's funeral will take place at York Crematorium, 11.40am, on March 27th, 2020. Family flowers only. Donations to York Hospital Renal Unit. All enquiries please contact Hayley Owen Funeral Directors, 01904 792525.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Ron will receive many tributes I am sure. Certainly he was a huge influence on my research, and academic studies as a mature student. He opened many doors for me, and was a great friend to my twin brother Richard and myself. We shared many really good beers together and travelled many miles to reunions and functions he meticulously organised. Never once did we hear him complain about deteriorating health, he just carried on carrying one. We will miss him greatly and our thoughts are with Wendy and family. Rest in Peace Ron, your fortitude was an inspiration and knowledge of all things 'Commando' unrivalled.

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger