commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
gibralter  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
jim webster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi all,

The following is an extract from my fathers commando service record-
1-3-43 30-5-43 Embarked at Glasgow in transit aboard HMT Dunnotar Castle to Gibraltar. No. 2 Commando was fragmented at this time with detachments in North Africa, Malta and other classified operational locations. Nothing is known of Sgt. Webster?s particular assignments while on station at Gibraltar.

At Fort William i asked the late great Bob Bishop did he know what my dad was up to in Gibraltar and with a twinkle in his eye and a chuckle he said my dad ' was having fun with the Brandenburgers'

Can anyone expand further?

jim

jim webster proud son of Sgt Doug Webster 2 commando 4 troop.
[Email]
Dusty's son
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jim

On one of my visits with Bob & Janet I showed them the picture of #3 troop No.2 at Gibraltar and he told the specific reason they were sent there but the exact details escape me now.That was only a year or two ago and I've forgotten which speaks to Bobs amazing memory for details.

Perhaps Janet can remember and correct me if I'm wrong but besides the strategic location of "the rock" or "gib "as my dad always referred to it, they were either sent as feint to draw off enemy troops or the enemy troops were already in then area (Spain?)and they were sent to keep an eye on things.

My dad when speaking of his time there mostly spoke of training, cliff and rock climbing with the apes.

Hope this helps, have you checked the photo gallery of #2 Commando there is a picture of #3 troop stationed there in 43.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/01/2009 15:18:41

Anonymous

Here is a quote of some information I found about the Brandenburgers Bob was probably referring to ..."By late 1942, the majority of the Brandenburg regiment was being used in fire brigade duties, acting as elite infantry and plugging gaps in the German lines. In February 1943, the Brandenburgers were pulled out of the line, and moved back to Germany. The Regiment was being expanded again, this time to become Division Brandenburg. The division's first commander was to be Alexander von Pfuhlstein. The division was to be formed by four regiments. One regiment was returned to the Eastern front, to resume duties as a fire brigade, One battalion was sent to Africa to continue harassing the Allies in the Mediterranean. The remainder of the division was sent to the Balkans, to engage in anti-Partisan operations".
From the beginning of 1943 No2 were being shipped out ultimately for the Italy and Balkans actions that were to follow. My Dad went to Gibralter and his trip according to his service records took 9 days. However others took much longer. Eric Buckmasters trip took 6 weeks. I have asked Eric why and I will update you with any info I get. Jim I see your Dads trip took a long time as well. The Dunnottar Castle Troopship was also Erics mode of transport as well as your fathers Jim albeit at different times I believe. Here is a picture of the ship which, after the war and a full refit, went on as a civilian cruise ship for many years only being " broken up" about 5 years ago.
 Filename dunnotar castle.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description HMT Dunnottar Castle later renamed SS Victoria
 Filesize 28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  423 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Not sure how the above came up with annonymous but it was posted by Pete

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 29/01/2009 23:30:35

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger