commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
L.Corp Albert Stuart (Bert) Morgan, X Troop.  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Hitfl123
Forum Member

Service no POX115315 HMS Odyssey

I am researching information about my wife?s uncle Bert Morgan who served as a photographer in X-Troop as part of WOOLFORCE as part of D-Day landings. We believe he was awarded a DSM during this time, although this does not appear to be recorded on this site.

In particular we are looking for any service records and photographs he may have taken. He was more often behind the camera than in front!

Many thanks for your help with this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/01/2020 22:42:58

craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

HMS Oddyssey was the Collingwood hotel in Ilfracombe. It was a naval pay and records office for naval parties and is listed in a book by Ben Warlow. Some of the Oddyssey records are still under the official secrets act, I have researched this for a few years as it is listed on my grand fathers records. Your relative is a Portsmouth division service number hence PO/X.

Have you looked at the 30AU site, loads of photos and info on there, be interested to read the service documents if you have them, it will help.

Keep looking, there are some knowledgable people on here.

Best regards.

CRAIG .
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Hitfl123
Forum Member

Craig. Many thanks for your prompt reply. There were no photos of Bert on 30AU site so we have sent them a couple including one of a group from ?Hut 38? that we hope will bring back memories for some.

Bert was an aide to Lieutenant-Commander T.J. Glanville, RNVR, and was awarded the DSM (see London Gazette 27FEB1945) ?for good services in the operations leading to the liberation of France?. He rarely spoke of his wartime exploits after the war and returned to civilian life in Wallasey as a Police Constable and received a long service medal upon his retirement.

I?ll send a photo of Bert separately along with a copy of the citation taken from an auctioneer?s catalogue when the medals were sold subsequent to his death in 1981.

We would still be interested in receiving more info about his service history if available. Thanks again.

Robert Preston
[Thumb - D7967E10-F7DF-4777-A3B1-C95A8C1D193F.jpeg]
 Filename D7967E10-F7DF-4777-A3B1-C95A8C1D193F.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description Hut 38
 Filesize 155 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  179 time(s)

[Thumb - 4189F359-DF21-409B-B99D-8458DFE2DCAD.jpeg]
 Filename 4189F359-DF21-409B-B99D-8458DFE2DCAD.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description Albert Stuart Morgan- 30AU X-Troop
 Filesize 107 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  176 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have added the photo of LCpl. Morgan DSM to our 30 AU Gallery here: http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/30AU/33+section/Albert+Morgan+30AU.jpeg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger