commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Death of 46 Royal Marine Commando Veteran Stephen Barnwell  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Jeff Hewitt
Forum Member

It is with great sorrow that I have to inform you that Stephen sadly passed away during the Xmas period. He was 97 years of age. I will post funeral details as soon as I hear from his carer.

Jeff Hewitt
[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

RIP Stephen

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Jeff Hewitt
Forum Member

The funeral of WW2 Veteran 46 Royal Marine Commando Stephen Barnwell will take place on Tuesday 28th January 2020 at 14.00 in the Small Family Chapel at The Downs Crematorium, Bear Road, Brighton BN2 3PL.
The Chapel has a seating capacity of 25.
Steve has no known surviving family so attendance will just be Friends.
It was Steve's wish that there be no pomp or ceremony and that it would be a non religious service.
Steve told his long term Carer Peter Rodgers that he'd be happy if he "rolled him in a carpet and pushed him in a ditch"!
However a cremation it will be but without any music or last post Bugler.
Peter will read a Eulogy and myself a Tribute in honour of his war service with 46 RM Commando.
I have notified the Brighton, Hove and District RMA/RMC in the hope that a few local Green Beret men will attend however if there is anyone from the CVA who wishes to attend you are most welcome although space within the Chapel will be limited.

Jeff Hewitt
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have been advised by Bennetts Funeral Directors, Newhaven (01273 611004) that Stephen passed away on the 28th December 2019. I have now added his name to our Obituaries.

Stephen is pictured in this 'X' Troop photo - Row 4 (2nd row up) seated 1st left Mne. Stephen Barnwell.

Rest in peace Stephen.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A photo of Stephen Barnwell courtesy of Glyn Dewis of the 3945 Portraits Project https://www.3945portraits.com/
[Thumb - Mne Barnwell 46RM.JPG]
 Filename Mne Barnwell 46RM.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Photo credit: Glyn Dewis, 3945 Portraits Project
 Filesize 653 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  265 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger