commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando troop photo needing details  XML
Forum Index » Using the Website, Forums and Gallery
Kelvin Fosberry
Forum Member

I'm attaching a group photo of our father's unit which we found after he passed away. He never spoke of this photo, so we have no details (the when or where). Our father - Leslie Fosberry - is second row, 9th from the left. I don't know if this was taken at the Commando Training Facility, after he was assigned to No. 4, or after he was transferred to No. 3 . I'm hoping that somebody can shed some light and/or recognize some other faces. Thank you.

Kelvin Fosberry
[Thumb - Commando formal group shot.jpg]
 Filename Commando formal group shot.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 640 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  331 time(s)

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

What a great photo Kelvin.....thanks for posting this.

I hope we can solve this for you.
Best regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

GUY
Forum Member

Kelvin,
The photograph was taken at Holding Operational Commando (H.O.C.) at Hermitage Camp, Wrexham.
Among the Troop are Army and Royal Marine Commandos.
The photograph may have been taken prior to your father's posting to No.4 Commando?

Other H.O.C. Wrexham photographs :

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Holding+Operational+Commando+HOC/

Guy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

deleted and reposted below

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/01/2020 17:27:19

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Yes indeed Guy. The Commanding Officer in Kelvin's photo is also in one of them on that link . He is Lt. Col. Iain F. Macalpine and he was Commanding Officer. The dates he was there are shown in the Navy Lists from which I can see he is not shown in the December 1943 list, but is shown in the Feb. 1944 list, then in the April 1944 list and the June 1944 list.

In October 1944 Navy Lists show him as O.C. 43RM Commando.

Lt Col. Macalpine (Black Watch) had served earlier in the war with No.6 Commando and is in photo from those days here. He had taken part in Operation Torch:
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/boxing+team+result/6+Cdo+boxing+team+PB.jpg.html

In November 1942 he was the OC of No.6 Commando during Operation Torch and became ill being hospitalised with heart trouble during the battle for Green Hill. He was replaced initially by the 2 i/c Maj. Macleod before the arrival of the new O.C. Lt Col. Mills-Roberts. (Source: The Green Beret, author Hilary St. George Saunders).

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Using the Website, Forums and Gallery
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger