commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pte. Cooper No.2 Commando 1 Troop 1941  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Cooperclan29
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I believe that Pte. Cooper 3rd from right on the bottom row of this Photo is my Great Uncle Eric Cooper, his brother Claude V Cooper was also either No. 2Commando or SAS. I am trying to find details of his war record but I am not immediate next of kin and do not have his Service number. It just so happens I have both Eric and Claudes' Fairbairn - Sykes Fighting knives that were given to my Father. I have attached a photo of Eric Cooper. If anyone can enlighten me with further details it would be appreciated.
[Thumb - PHOTO-2019-12-14-10-51-04.jpg]
 Filename PHOTO-2019-12-14-10-51-04.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Pte. Claude V Cooper
 Filesize 159 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  257 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/12/2019 18:34:07

aim icon [ICQ]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Thanks for the photo of your great uncle which I will add to the gallery in due course. He definitely looks like the commando in the photo you describe. For the benefit of others here is a link to that photo. http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/1+troop/1+Troop/

Do you know any of the family history ? Is there a connection with Eric to Manchester during the war ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/12/2019 22:43:16

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just to add the photo was not actually posted by Cliff Harding as in the title of this Forum thread. The comment below it was. Title of this Forum thread therefore amended.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/12/2019 19:16:50

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Cooperclan29
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete, thank you for the welcome. What a great site!
Yes, I do know his family history...he is one of 5 brothers, my grandfather being one of them. My Great Grandfather left the North East (Tynemouth/Pontefract) for the coalfields of Kent in 1926. His sons were all born in Pontefract or Scarborough (Eric was born in 1921). Only 2 of the sons were regular army the other three were; ground crew for Spitfires/Hurricanes during Battle of Britain, reserved occupation coalminer and the other looked after the munitions at Dover in Kent. The sons never saw each other from 1944 onwards (long story!) however Eric and his brother Claude would regularly appear from out of the blue and disappear in the blink of an eye according to my father who was a little boy during the war. My father collected edged weapons and was given the FS Knives by Claude and Eric.
As far as I am aware none of the family has any ties with Manchester...that doesn't mean we don't, just I am not aware of it. I have also attached a photo of Claude. I think he must be somewhere in the middle east judging by the photo, but I can't make out his cap badge so don't know who he served with!
[Thumb - PHOTO-2019-12-14-10-52-35.jpg]
 Filename PHOTO-2019-12-14-10-52-35.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Eric Cooper
 Filesize 59 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  242 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/12/2019 18:34:29

aim icon [ICQ]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Cooperclan29 wrote: ... my Great Uncle Eric Cooper... I am trying to find details of his war record but I am not immediate next of kin and do not have his Service number.

Hi,
You do not need to be the 'immediate' next of kin apply to the MoD for your Great Uncle's service record, the next of kin form has a table in which you indicate your relationship to the deceased and as long as you are a blood relative then that will often be sufficient; however, it is easier if you do have the consent of a closer relative...

Neither do you need his service number - as long as you have his date of birth...

Here are the links to the two forms you will need to apply:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/711147/20180524-request_service_details_NOK_part1_v6.2.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545060/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

The MoD charge a one off fee of £30 and you will need to include a copy of his death certificate (available to order online from Gov.UK)

A word of caution, the MoD is the only custodian of WWII service records - do not waste your time and/or money with any other online genealogy sites that may claim to have his records - they do not!
They will simply take the information you supply them with when you start your search and feed it back to you - after you've subscribed to their site(s).

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Cooperclan29
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Nic
Thank you for the information. For so long I have heard stories from my father about the FS knives I have now inherited, along with tales of Eric and Claude daring escapades. Sadly my father has dementia and can no longer remember much. Eric moved to Australia after the war and has a daughter (I am in the process of trying to trace her) but sadly through the grapevine I know that he passed away about 5 years ago. As for Claude that is a totally different story and I'm trying to track him too. My Great Grandfather also served but in what capacity and where I don't know.
My sister has a few more photos, so when I receive them I'll post them. Thank you for the advice on retrieving records.
aim icon [ICQ]
GUY
Forum Member

Possibly :

Claude Vernon COOPER 13th January 1920 - 2Q 1972 Leicester ?

Guy
GUY
Forum Member

Alfred COOPER married Gertrude GUTHERLESS 1Q 1912 Pontefract

Alfred N. COOPER born 1912 Scarborough
Sydney R. COOPER born 1917 Pontefract
Claude V. COOPER born 1920 Pontefract
Eric COOPER born 1921 Scarborough

Cooperclan29
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Guy
Thanks for your input.

A quick amendment to the photographs, as I now have evidence of names from the back of the photos:

- It turns out that the first photo is of my Great Uncle Claude V Cooper born in March 1920 in Pontefract North Yorkshire serving with No2 Commando

- The second photo (sitting on the wall) is of Eric Cooper service No. 5949674 It appears he served originally with the Royal Engineers according to his mobilisation papers. He enlisted on 2nd May 1938. Mobilised on 2nd September 1939. Although it is thought he was a Commando.
He served in:
Far East 28-10-41 to 11-3-42
India 12-3-42 to 3-11-42
Middle East 4-11-42 to 22-4-44
North West Europe 5-10-44 to 6-5-46

So it's without a doubt Claude who is the one I don't know much about or what happened to him.
aim icon [ICQ]
Cooperclan29
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Guy

Thanks again
I retrieved all of those names too as part of our family tree. Alfred Cooper was my Great Grandfather he also served but not sure where. There is a very unfortunate tale about him which prevents us knowing what happened to him.

PM me if you wish to know the details as I need advising as to whether it's appropriate for the forum.
aim icon [ICQ]
GUY
Forum Member

5949674 is a Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment service number. Eric initially enlisted in the Beds & Herts before transferring to the Royal Engineers.
Eric was serving in the Far East with the 5th Battalion Beds & Herts Regiment, he appears on a nominal roll of men serving 18th Division Head Quarters and Infantry.
The photograph you have posted shows Eric with a Royal Engineers cap badge on his side cap.

Guy

[Thumb - COOPER Eric R.E..png]
 Filename COOPER Eric R.E..png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  194 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/12/2019 18:54:44

Cooperclan29
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Guy

Thank you for being so helpful it is so much appreciated, as are all of the contributors to this site. I cannot thank you enough for helping me to drive through a roadblock with identifying who, what, where and when my family contributed along with so many others.

Regards
aim icon [ICQ]
GUY
Forum Member

P.M. sent
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Cooperclan29

I have amended the titles under each photo you posted to reflect the name changes you mentioned above. I have posted the photo of your great uncle Claude into our No.2 Commando gallery and it is currently on page 2 [View in Gallery....].

If you wish your name added as a credit would you be please post it here. Should you obtain the Service Records in the future please update us on here.

[Email]
Cooperclan29
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Pete

I will post service records once acquired. Thank you for making the amendments.

Best regards
Mark Cooper Great Nephew of Claude Cooper
aim icon [ICQ]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger