commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Roderick Ellerman, No.1 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Please could you add the following details to the No.1 Cdo Nominal Roll

13111286 2nd Lieutenant Roderick Ellerman (aka Etzdorf), Pioneer Corps (334987).

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/36861/supplement/5941/data.pdf

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have updated the nominal roll and obituary entries already in the archive. An interesting character indeed. I am adding below references found and if anyone else can find information with sources could they add them here:

London Gazette 36861, page 5941.
18th Nov. 1944 - 13111286 Roderick Ellerman (334987) Royal Pioneer Corps commissioned 2nd Lieutenant.

London Gazette 37908, page 1276
25 February 1947 Certificate of Naturalization granted: von Etzdorf, Rudiger Otto Ulrich (known as Roderick Ellerman); Germany; of no occupation; Browns Hotel, Dover Street, London, W.1.

Commando Association newsletter 6 issued March 1948
Roderick Ellerman of No. 1 Cdo Intelligence Section in North Africa, has now reverted to his original name of Roderick R. von Etzdorf. He has been chosen to join the group of people from which the Olympic Ski Team will be picked and is now in Switzerland training. Here's hoping we see his name in the headlines as being a member of the team.

London Gazette 39969, page 5102.
26 September 1953 Lt. R.R.O.U. von Etzdorf relinquishes commission and granted honorary rank of Captain, Royal Pioneer Corps.

Commando Association newsletter 104 obituaries issued March 1997.
Sgt. Roderick von Etzdorf (Later Ellerman) (1 Cdo) of Great Cheverell, Wilts.

The rank shown suggests that was his rank in the Commandos so where did he go when commissioned?

There are many references to a Charles Rudiger von Etzdorf who used the name Ellerman and who was instrumental in many escapes of Prisoners of War. A google search simply on the two names together Ellerman Etzdorf brings up the results which include books and documents. These include a change of name.

Does anyone know more ?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/12/2019 19:32:29

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:the rank shown suggests that was his rank in the Commandos so where did he go when commissioned?

research suggests that he joined SOE, however, obviously it is difficult to confirm this without further investigation...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
J. Garrard
Forum Member

I'm afraid I don't have additional sources, but Rudiger von Etzdorf was a friend of the family. He took the name of Roderick Ellerman after getting out of Germany to fight with the British and I think passed himself off as Hungarian to avoid difficult conversations about being German, and he was in the Pioneer Corps before succeeding in getting into the commandos. My father was in the 11th Hussars and I believe met Rudiger in North Africa, but I can't be sure. It could have been Scotland. Charles was his father. If anyone has more information I would love to see it. My son's middle name is Rudiger in his honour although in general he mostly used the name Roderick in England. He was a spectacular man.

[Thumb - 20200501_214332.jpg]
 Filename 20200501_214332.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 474 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  291 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/05/2020 03:50:43

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thank you very much for the photo and information. I have added a page in his name to our Archive as you can see on the link below.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/Etzdorf_Ellerman_1Commando

I have added a credit there to you and can include your first name if you care to leave it. Hopefully others will see the post as you did and add more about the life of Captain Roderick von Etzdorf.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/05/2020 21:43:13

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger