commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sydney Burrow  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Abi Greenhalgh
Forum Member

Hi - my 13 yr old daughter is doing a project on her Great Grandad Sydney Burrow (my granda) in History at school - we have applied for his records separately, however we are aware these may take some months to arrive - we know very little currently, only that he was a Royal Marine Commando during WW2, he trained near Fort William, and as far as family can remember took part in the D Day landings, but landed on the 7th not the 6th - do you know anything about those who went over on the 7th June, or which units did? In addition, we are looking for hints/tips on where to look for more information in general ?? we know he lived in Hackthorpe in Westmorland, and (I am assuming he signed up in Penrith but this needs confirming) I can remember him telling me that he was picked out of the line of men when he signed up to be a Royal Marine - he thought it was because he was tall! - Syd was an active member of the Normandy Veterans Appleby branch and I can remember he went back to Scotland for rememberance day one year (back at training camp) can I can also remember him going back to Normandy on a number of occasions. We have no medals from his service as he never wanted them.

Ideally we are hoping to track down which unit he was part of, and so can then find out which battles etc he was involved in.

Any direction you can point us in would be much appreciated - and of course as we will update you with further info as we find out more

Syd passed away in 2000.

Thanks, Abi
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I think 46 commando landed on the 7th. Check out the 46 nominal roll on here. And loads of photos in the gallery. He may be on there.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

He is in the nominal role for 46, he has a Plymouth division number. Starts with PLY. S Burrow, marine.

Hope this helps, I can ask the chairman of 46 family and friends to jump on the thread. He is a co author of 2 books on 46. Very detailed books.

Regards.
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Battle of Rots, Rhine crossings, amongst others. Google the waist high cornfield.
Abi Greenhalgh
Forum Member

Oh wow thankyou so much - I've got my Mum and Dad on the hunt too, and yes 46th was definitely his division ?. interesting that you mention the Rhine, I remember a brick on a table under the stairs as a child ?. Granda never really said much about it but I know it had something to do with a bridge on the Rhine, no idea where it went after he passed away - any further connections to 46th would be great, thankyou so much
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have messaged Jeff Hewitt to get in touch, the division was Plymouth. Commando was 46 Royal Marines Commando, 4th command brigade, then 1st command brigade.

Glad I could help, you must check out the gallery. Lots of Troop photos with names. You might find him.
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jeff is struggling to log in. His details are 01869 356082 email is [email protected]

Drop him a line.
Jeff Hewitt
Forum Member

Dear All,
I have successfully made contact with Abi and we are now sharing information about her granddad and 46 RMC.

Jeff Hewitt
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger