commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Info. On Herbert Arthur Jones (1945)  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
A Jones
Forum Member

I?m looking for information about my late father. Did his training in 1945 (No.14 intake). I spotted him in your gallery photo and have added some info. there. I?d be interested in any info. about his commando service. His service No. was 5670627, his enlistment date was 9 Jan 1934 when he joined the Somerset Light Infantry. He was known as Harry and sometimes Dai - though he wasn?t Welsh. I believe he may have been a marksman (or sniper)? I remember him talking about being a small arms expert.

From
Amanda Jones
aim icon [ICQ]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hello Amanda

I am pleased you found your Father on the photo of Sturges Commando Course April 1945. Unfortunately we do not have access to official service records however you yourself can make an application for a copy of your Father's. How to do so can be found here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

In your Father's case you should follow the guidelines for the Army applications rather than Royal Marines. Once you have done that and whilst you are awaiting the results which can take sometime, why don't you post a photo of your Father on this message thread and if you wish include a copy of the Letter you mention. Photos have to be less than 1mb in size or they will not load but if you have any problems just email me via the link below my name at the foot of this message and I will assist you. Then when the Service Records are received we can review where he went after April 1945.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
A Jones
Forum Member

Thanks for your reply when I have a little time I will add the information you suggest.

From
Amanda Jones
aim icon [ICQ]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger