commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
R. Wright E-troop 12th Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Chemano
Forum Member

Cud anyone here help me with information about R. Wright from E-troop in 12th Commando?
My understanding is that he was with the troop on the earliest raids and missions in the war.
All information are welcomed and much appreciated.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi
Could you advise us of the source of your information ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Chemano
Forum Member

It was found on the same scabbard as the name of Wall was found. The FS knife is of the early pattern and the customised scabbard have seen lot of action.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There was an R. Wright in No.12 Commando but in a different troop. There may of course been another that we do not as yet know of.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Chemano
Forum Member

Im not able to post photos here, but does the Wright you have record on done any operation in Norway that can explain how these knife ended up here?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/11/2019 13:02:36

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

In fact there were at least two...Richard 'Dicky' Wright and Bob Wright. There may have been more that we do not know of. Bob Wright served in 'A' Troop and took part in the raid at St Nazaire. What we know of is all on this site. Here is a link to a message that may be of interest to you.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3795.page

[Email]
Chemano
Forum Member

Thank you Pete! Just to be sure, Bob is a nickname for Robert?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

His name was Robert Ernest Wright, and was known as Bob.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/11/2019 13:10:47

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There seems to be some difference in the spelling of his middle name Ernest or Earnest. However the St Nazaire Society list of Charioteers have it as Ernest http://saintnazairesociety.org/personnel-25.html

[Email]
Chemano
Forum Member

Whow! Great links and information you provided Pete! Many thanks for you help.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I would just add that I am not saying that fighting knife belongs to that man, just providing answers to questions.

[Email]
Chemano
Forum Member

Fully aware of that, still it?s most likely unless there turns up another R. Wright in 12 commando 😊👍🏻
Graham49
Forum Member

Hello,

I presume that the knife was found in Norway somewhere? Also, it's not clear to me why you believe the knife to have belonged to someone from E Troop? Was it written on the scabbard?

My father Sgt Tim Robinson served with E Troop 12 Commando. E Troop, under the command of Philip Pinckney, took part in Operation Anklet (a raid on the Lofoten Islands) in December 1941. There is a document on this website entitled The Memories of Sergeant John Huntington whci describes the training and operational involvement of E Troop before it, along with 12 Commando, was disbanded. On, I think, the last page of the document you will find a list of men that John Huntington could remember serving with in 12 Commando (presumably E Troop) which includes L/Cpl Dicky Wright RAMC. Dicky, as you probably know, is short for Richard. The reference to RAMC (Royal Army Medical Corp) may refer to where Dicky Wright was subsequently posted, in the same way that, where against other names he has writen SAS, this referred to the unit that those men went after leaving 12 Commando.

My father left a note book in which he recorded many names of soldiers he served with in E Troop 12 Commando but this only covers the period February to September 1942 and unfortunately R Wright's name does not appear.

Other information about E Troop 12 Commando can be found in Peter Stoke's book No Ordinary Life, about his father Horace Stokes who served in E Troop.

I hope this is helpful to you and please let me know if there is any further information that you think I might be able to help you with.

Graham Robinson

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger