commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John (Jack) Bernard TEMPEST( CHX102294)  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
ALAN ANKERS
Forum Member

Hello

I am in the very early stages of trying to gather some detailed background in respect of my late father-in-law, named above. Like so many others and understandably he chose not to talk in any detail as regards his WW2 experiences. We do recall that he trained initially as a Royal Marine in March 1941 at Chatham before undertaking duties from August 1943 as a RM Commando (Information gleamed mainly from Jack's Certificate of Service). He was discharged from the Service in April 1946. It is believed that Jack during his time attended training in Scotland, Saundersfoot in Wales, and saw active service in both Italy & Burma. He also spoke of having spent some time in India. We know that as a result of his service he was awarded several medals including The Burma Star.

The purpose of this request is to try and establish Jack's movements and experiences during WW2, and details of his Regiment particularly whilst in Italy & Burma. My initial thoughts are that he possibly served with RM Commando 44?? I do appreciate that there is a wealth of information contained within this website and I will endeavour to try and work my way through what appears to be the relevant content.

Thank you for your attention to this matter
[Thumb - JACK TEMPEST - 1.jpg]
 Filename JACK TEMPEST - 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description John Bernard TEMPST CHX102294
 Filesize 6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  149 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/03/2020 16:27:34

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alan

Unlike today in WW2 not all Royal Marines were Commandos. We do not have access to official service records and in the absence of anything on our website I would ask you to consider providing a photo of his service certificate showing any Commando service. You can also post a photo of your Father in law with this. We do have a maximum file limit size on the Forum of 1mb. If you have any difficulties let me know. I would also point you in the direction of our document on service records and in particular victualling records on Royal Marines here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger