commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Roast - Lake Commachio  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
urbanowski
Forum Member

Does anybody have any tips/advice on visiting the area as i am planning to go in April 2020. My great uncle is buried at CWG Ravenna
His name was Henry William Porter, Service number 6213331

I have some additional information and photos that I would like to share on his page within the commando veteran website
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the Commando Veterans Archive. We have the following detail about your great uncle

[ROH entry for Lance Sergeant H.W. Porter No.9 Commando]

[Photo of the Grave of Lance Sergeant Henry William Porter]

Thank you for offering to share photos and information. You can either post them in replies on this forum thread or alternatively contact me by email below.

May I ask is your visit specific to the Lake Comacchio area in Italy ? I am hoping that someone who has been will offer advice.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Doug
Forum Member

Lake Commachio has changed significantly since the end of WW2. Little to see of interest and no way of identifying the Operation Roast launch and landing sites. Ravenna is a great place to visit and if you are interested I will send you info on a WW2 museum a short distance from Ravenna that has many artifacts from the Argenta Gap campaign.

Doug
urbanowski
Forum Member

Let me dig out the photos and documents and I will get them scanned to you

Pete wrote:Hi and welcome to the Commando Veterans Archive. We have the following detail about your great uncle

[ROH entry for Lance Sergeant H.W. Porter No.9 Commando]

[Photo of the Grave of Lance Sergeant Henry William Porter]

Thank you for offering to share photos and information. You can either post them in replies on this forum thread or alternatively contact me by email below.

May I ask is your visit specific to the Lake Comacchio area in Italy ? I am hoping that someone who has been will offer advice.
urbanowski
Forum Member

Doug

Thanks. I was planning to go late March with my Mum (Harry was her uncle) so that we could be at Ravenna on the 75th anniversary of his death. Please do send me details of the museum as I will look to plan our visit around that and Ravenna noting your comments about Lake Commachio. Thanks in advance

Doug wrote:Lake Commachio has changed significantly since the end of WW2. Little to see of interest and no way of identifying the Operation Roast launch and landing sites. Ravenna is a great place to visit and if you are interested I will send you info on a WW2 museum a short distance from Ravenna that has many artifacts from the Argenta Gap campaign.

Doug
Doug
Forum Member

The museum is in Alfonsine about a 22 minute drive north west of Ravenna. There is a train service between the two towns but it takes 3 hours. Also a bus line 161.

I will try attaching an English language link to the Museo della Battaglia del Senio but if it fails you can Google it.

https://www.inspirock.com/italy/alfonsine/museo-della-battaglia-del-senio-a79371105

I hope that your visit is fulfilling.

Doug

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger