commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
W A Gibbs 40 RM Commando CHX 110618  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Gibbsuk
Forum Member

My father joined A company on 4 Aug 1942 which became 40 RM on 23 Nov 1942. Unfortunately his records are not available (lost), so I am having difficultly finding more information. It would help If I could find out what troop he was in. I am working through 40 RM war diaries (which you can now download for £3.50p) I think he was at Monte Cassino, and I do note that in the order of battle 40 RM is listed as being there but no mention is made of that battle in The Light Blue Lanyard. Could anyone suggest further areas of research?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hello and welcome to our website

Your Father is listed in our 40RM Commando nominal roll shown below but we do not have his forenames. If you would care to supply them I can update that entry. Also any other relevant details such as date of birth/death can be added to any entry on our Obituaries (if relevant).

http://www.commandoveterans.org/40RMCommandoNomRollE-K

We currently have no photo of your Father. If you have one you would like included in our 40RM Commando Gallery you can either post it here as an attachment, or send it to me by email below. If you include your name that will be added as a credit to any photo.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Gibbsuk
Forum Member

My father was Walter Andrew Gibbs
Born 18 March 1917
Died 16 Oct 1991
Joined A Commando on 4 Aug 1942
Became 40 RM Commando 23 Nov 1942
Wounded in Action 18 Jan 1944
Promoted to Corporal 17 Dec 1944
Returned to UK 1 March 1946, and released from Service 10 May 1946
I have around 10 more group war photographs if they are of any interest.
Chris Gibbs
[Thumb - img920a.jpg]
 Filename img920a.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 152 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  244 time(s)

[Thumb - 1945 WA&MGIBBS.jpg]
 Filename 1945 WA&MGIBBS.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 460 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  238 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris

Thank you for the information and two photos and yes please feel free to post the others. Can you advise in any group photo where your Father is located in each. Also am I right in saying the photo you posted is one of your Father and Mother, if so would you advise me of her forename and I will include that. Finally, and I have to ask Chris, are you daughter or son ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Gibbsuk
Forum Member

Firstly I am his son, but I understand why you asked.
My mother was Mary Gibbs, and yes it was her in the picture.
[Thumb - img907.jpg]
 Filename img907.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description My father is in the Front row second from Left.
 Filesize 154 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  241 time(s)

[Thumb - Corfu, Greece.jpg]
 Filename Corfu, Greece.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description My father is in the Middle
 Filesize 130 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  232 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris and thanks for the new photos and information. All have now been included in our 40RM Commando gallery. They are not all alongside each other but all are on page 1 at the moment. Here is a link to that gallery:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/40+RM+Cdo/

It's good to see some more photos in this gallery as we have had very few provided to us.

[Email]
Allan Poyner
Forum Member

Hi Chris
I am struck by the similarity between your photo of your Father on Corfu the one I have just posted of my Father on Corfu, I am no expert on dogs but the one is both pictures look remarkably similar as does the setting....

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger