commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
SAS EX with 42 CDO 1961/62  XML
Forum Index » Using the Website, Forums and Gallery
COL MIKE PAGE
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good Morning All, writing a biography RSM SASR (AUST) Laurie Fraser and seeking any info, recollections and photos of 42 CDO exercises conducted with SAS during Nov 61 and Jan 62 in Western Australia - with HMS Bulwalk and 848 Naval Air Squadron, Royal Navy Fleet Air. I think 42 CDO and HMS Bulwalk were returning home from Far East Service. Any assistance would be immensely appreciated.

Michael Page, RFD, ADC
Colonel
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hello Mike

Have you enquired as yet of the Royal Marines Historical Society or the RM Corps Historian ? If not email me (see below) and I will put you in touch.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
outcast
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete
I was on those exercises with 42 Cdo as mentioned. It was a long time ago and my memories are mainly of how hot it was. Several of members of 42 succumbed to heat exhaustion - the subject of much derisive commentary by the Australian press!
I used to have a few photos taken during the exercises with the SAS but they have been mislaid over the passage of time. The only ones that I still have are of the unit marching through Perth with band, unit colours, etc., having been awarded the Freedom of the City, and these are not really relevant.
My most enduring memories are of the delightful ex pat family that welcomed me to their home every time that I was free, and took me sightseeing which included a visit to Yanchep (?) National Park. I have sent a picture of their son and daughter to the local press, hoping to locate one or both of them, but to no avail.
One of my former squad members, who was also in 42 at that time, was placed on secondment to the SAS at Swanbourne Barracks for a short spell.I'll contact him to see if he's prepared to divulge some of what he remembers. Don't hold your breath - he's a canny guy.
Best wishes
Vic

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I?
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference".
Robert Frost
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks again for your help Vic.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
outcast
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello again Pete
I have been in touch with the gentleman that I mentioned and his memories of that time in Australia are much better than mine.
He said that he doesn't have any photographs, though, as he didn't have a camera at that time.
I let him have your email address so that he can contact you directly if he wishes to do so but, as previously mentioned, he's a private person and nothing may come of it.
Best wishes for 2021.
Vic

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I?
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference".
Robert Frost

Forum Index » Using the Website, Forums and Gallery
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger