commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Iceland Camp  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Training Establishments
Jason Hall
Forum Member

Hi, my name is Jason, I am new on this site. I live in Arthog in one of the houses that were taken over in the war to make Iceland Camp. I believe I live in the house that was the officers mess. Can anyone tell me the date the camp was finally closed.

Many thanks Jason. :wink:
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the Website & Forum...

At the moment I can't give you a date when the Iceland 'camp' closed, but here is a document, I put together, which will give people who don't know about the RM Training Group (Wales) camps some background information.

Nick
 Filename Royal Marine Training Group.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 121 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  765 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/09/2019 11:32:52

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There?s also a good document with photos and information here https://johnbarrierevisits.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/royal-marines-and-gd-sheard-april-2014-final3.pdf

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That's a great find Pete, very detailed and a good read...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Jason Hall
Forum Member

NIC, Pete many thanks for the extra information, I will read it at my leisure later today.
Jason Hall
Forum Member

I have now had time to read your reply's thank you both for the extra information I was not aware of. When I first moved here I occasionally had a visit from an old marine that had be stationed here or a family member but sadly no more. I used to let them look round the house if they wanted to, I thought it the least I could do.

Here is a fact you may not know. When the houses were requisitioned doorways were knocked through on one of the upper floors so that the solders could go from house to house with out going out side. These of course were bricked up when the camp was closed down. The one exception was my house which as I have already said was the officers mess. They obversely did not want to be interrupted by other ranks.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 14/09/2019 00:09:06

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Training Establishments
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger