commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
43 Royal Marine Commando - Dalmatian Islands  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Gordon Lacey
Forum Member

My son and I are visiting the island of Vis in September this year as my late father served in 43RM Commandos in the Dalmatian Islands in 1944 with F Troop.

I have a copy of "Nothing Much To Lose" but wondered if anyone had any further information of the activities of 43RM Commandos and F Troop specifically?

Has anyone else visited the islands and have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Gordon

A good book is Commando Subaltern at War (RM Operations in Yugoslavia and Italy 1944/5) by W.G. Jenkins DSO who served in 43RM Commando.

43RM Commando were part of 2 Commando Brigade. To get a feel of what it was like on Vis, I recommend a small and little known book about the activities of a RAMC surgeon attached to No 2 Commando when they took over the Island of Vis. It is an an excellent read. It is called an Island of Terrible Friends by Bill Strutton. It is an interesting and sometimes humorous account of the work, and problems, faced by Major James Rickett RAMC who went with No 2 Commando when they took over the Adriatic island of Vis for operations against the neighbouring German occupied islands.

Some Veterans returned in 1973 and we have an account of their visit in case you are interested

https://www.commandoveterans.org/yugoslavia_revisited

Additionally we have a Marine Kenneth Lacey in our Obituaries, but also a Corporal Lacey in a photograph. Can you tell us if Kenneth was your Father and check out the photo as well. It does enlarge when clicked on for a good view

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/43+RM+Commando/43+RM+Cdo_+Putignano+18_01_1945+Outside+School+001.jpg.html

Feel free to post a photo of your Father as well and we will add it to our gallery.

Have a great trip and let us know how your trip goes as I am sure others have been thinking of a visit there in the future.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/02/2024 10:35:00

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Gordon Lacey
Forum Member

Hi Pete

Thanks very much for all the info. which I will study tonight (I have printed off the account of the '73 visit).

I have looked at the photo and my Dad was Kenneth Lacey and he is Cpl Lacey in the photo. I recognise some names i.e (Stan) Gartside, Lambert, (Ollie) Matthews and ('Jan') Oliver, the latter missing from the photo.

Thanks again

Gordon
Fred43
Forum Member

Hi Gordon
Just saw your post, I was on Vis in 2019 and incidentally my father Fred Carrington was F troop 43 Commando (mortar section). Regarding the book 'Nothing Much To Lose', there is a photo of Fred in there, he is second from the left at the (far) back in the photo entitled '43 cdo Royal Marines - Brew up before attack on Comacchio'. I wonder how long your father was with 43 Cdo (and what dates) as I have a general timeline I put together showing where 43 were from training in Scotland to North Africa, Italy, Vis, Yugoslavia and back to Italy.

Mike Carrington

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger