commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Burt Woodbine 48 RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Chas
Forum Member

Hello I'm looking for some info on my grandfather Royal Marine Burt Woodbine. He was killed at the sallenes strong point when he and x2 others were I believe on r&r he stood on a mine killing both himself and Royal Marine Arthur Fox.

He is buried at Ranville Cemetey along with Arthur.

I myself am ex forces RHG/D and will be going to Ranville tomorrow the 19th of August 2019. Sadly I visited here 7 years ago and never knew he was buried hear.

Any help on finding more about him would be appreciated . Like he was with a third person him and Arthur was with are they still alive was Burt awarded any medal my Gran never spoke about it and my Mom never new her father.

With thanks

Charles Payne
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chas

We have an entry as you may seen in our Archive for both your Grandfather and Marine Arthur Fox.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/BertWoodbine48RMCommando

Initially we did not know the circumstances of their death as although the War Diary for that day and month, which can be viewed on the Pegasus Archive website, recorded the incident it did not give names. However when we included our WW2 Roll of Honour page onto this Archive we also included a facility to search by date. This showed us that only two Commandos died in France on the 29th August 1944 both from 48RM Commando. This was also then confirmed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database:

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?exactDate=29-08-1944&tab=wardead&fq_servedwithliteral=United+Kingdom&fq_country=France&fq_servedinliteral=Navy

I myself cannot assist with further information regarding the name of the third wounded Commando, however Casualty Lists for the 29 August 1944 may show this. I am hoping others who follow our Forum may possibly be able to help in this.

I have checked some of the recorded interviews of Veterans held online at the IWM and have yet to find reference to your Grandfather's death. Additionally I have checked for any detail in a small book about 48RM Commando written in 1946 with limited circulation to those who served. Your Grandfather is on the ROH but the incident is not mentioned. Do you have this book ? If not contact me by email (see below).

If you or your Family have a photo of your Grandfather that you would like included please either post it here or send it to me by email and I will post it on your behalf. If you take a photo of your Grandfather's grave in Ranville I can also include it. Marine Fox is buried (cemetery reference: IIA. B. 4.) behind your Grandfather (reference: IIA. C. 4.).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/08/2019 21:11:49

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Chas
Forum Member

Hi Pete

Thanks ever so much for the info I'm currently at Pegasus Bridge and after speaking to one of the Staff at the museum today he shed a wee bit more light on what may have happened but actually I popped into the Caffe Gondree and spoke to Madame Gondree who shed a lot more light on the situation I will come back tomorrow with more info.

I have to photos of both Burt and Arthur's graves send me your email and I'll send them to you.

Again I thank you probably more than you'll realise.

With thanks

Chas
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chas

If you check the bottom of this message just click on email there.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger