commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No 3 beach landing party 13th commandos  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
22craf
Forum Member

Hello I?m wondering if anyone could help on the above unit , I?ve been given a 1940 dated whistle engraved with the number and name sgt F Humphrey?s no 3 beach landing party 13th commandos
I?m guessing it?s a RN commando unit but can?t seem to find anything out for sure !
Any help on the unit and where the were etc would be appreciated, cheers Nick
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Have you a clear photo of the whistle that you can post on here ? Is the "date" that you mentioned engraved in the same manner as the unit is ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
22craf
Forum Member

Hello Pete , Thankyou for your reply , no the date is just a normal 1940 dated whistle with makers details etc , the engraving is on the back of the whistle .
I can try and add a picture but am not overly technologically advanced with such things!!
Have you heard off the unit at all ??
Cheers Nick
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have no idea what 13th Commandos is unless it was a term that some members of this unit liked to call themselves, ie. the 13th Commando, there being a total of 12 Army Commando units in the early days of the Commandos, assuming it is a British serviceman's whistle. Naval Beach Parties in the early days were not referred to as Commandos. The term Royal Naval Beach Commandos came into effect in 1942. A good book to read is The Beachhead Commandos by A. Cecil Hampshire.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger