commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
142 Commando Company  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete Keane
Forum Member

I have been trying to find details / roster of the personnel who were part of this unit when it was formed into the Chindits commando section - from what I can see it was a combination of the Bush Warfare Training School & Sappers.

There's a fair amount of info. on the chindits generally, but little specifically about the commando company.

I am going to post on chindit forums as well, but thought it worthwhile also asking here.

Regards

Pete.
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Peter, if you go to Search and enter 142 Commando you will find a previous post on this unit.

Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/01/2009 15:01:51

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Ta.
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi, Pete
There is little mention of 142 Commando.
My father applied for a posting of Warrant Officer to 142 Commando in early June 1942 after being posted from No1 Commando to 204 Military Mission India Command (17/3/42). On Fri. 24 July the main 204 draft leave Pataria for China flying from Calcutta, I'm sure that this was the area where 142 Commando did its training as (on Sun. 5 July they attended Brig. Mike Calverts lecture on jungle life). On 30 July my father takes charge of 142 Commando until the officer returns from sick leave, they move to new lines and he takes the section out on demolition, they are ordered to pack up on Aug 4 and move on to Saugor near Jhansi they arrive on Fri. 7 at 5.30 pm and march 4 miles to their billets. This was where Wingates 77th Brigade had it's main training ground (the jungle that surrounded this area was similar to the areas in Burma that they were to operate in). He relinquishes his rank of RSM with 142 Commando on 16/8/42 and posted to re-enforcement base camp in Deolali.
From early June to August 1942 there is no mention in his diary of what they did except for the entry of 30 July where he mentions demolitions.
Cheers
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Kevin, I have pm'd some info. to you.

Regards

Pete.
Pete Keane
Forum Member

I'm still digging away at 142 Commando Company !

I am reading Louis Allens 'Burma - The Longest War' , they get a brief mention - mainly that it was being run by Mike Calvert, and that it was training British Officers who were to run Chinese partisan-type units, so they would be au fait with the skills to pass on.

Not much, I know, but I wont let it rest !
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete
My father was posted to 204 Military Mission India Command on 17/3/42 this was also known as 204 Military Mission China.
A long, long time ago I borrowed a photo from a Major Bob England (he used to live in Axminster) he was in charge of the Bush Warefare Training School, it showed one of the lorries with 204 Military Mission China, written on the door but (this was before the advent of a scanner or the www) I had the photo enlarged at work the writing became indistinct and I did not copy the original (silly me), but as promised I returned photo to the originator, as I said this was a long time ago and I do not know if Major English is still alive, he had a lot of information and photos but I lost contact.
I might have a go again?
If you get any more info please get in touch.
Many thanks
Kevin

Pete Keane
Forum Member

I will post anything I come across, the good thing about Louis Allens book is that it lists its sources clearly, I will go back and see if the info. originates in a different book, hopefully by Mike Calvert !

I am getting my head around it a little better now - I believe that 204 Military Mission was the name for the Bush Warfare School being run by Calvert, and that after the formation of the Chindits it became 142 Commando Company and was attached to the columns.

If Major English is still standing upright it would be a great bonus to get the photos for scanning etc.

Regards

Pete.
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete, This was the Bush Warfare Training School, Major English is on the left with his dog.
204 Military Mission was a large formation (the Americans also had a Mission in China under 'Vinegar Jo' but I've found no link in name to their Military Mission and our 204. If you Google the Australian 'Tulip Force' it gives you a little more info, as their commandos were heavily involved with it.
The Bush Warfare Training School was a front for more covert activities but I don't think 142 Commando Company were based there, I might be wrong?
My fathers time with 142 was when they were setting the whole thing up, prior to training the Chindits, he got so fed up with moving around that he left the Commandos. I'll have a look later on tonight to see what I have about 204 and will scan them in.

I don't think that Major is 'still standing upright' somehow, this might jog a few memories.

Alll the best
Kevin
 Filename ajo4.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 841 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  0 time(s)

Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Photo and letters
[Thumb - ajo4.jpg]
 Filename ajo4.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Bush Warfare Training School
 Filesize 841 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1083 time(s)

[Thumb - Letter 1 001.jpg]
 Filename Letter 1 001.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Letter 1
 Filesize 359 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  979 time(s)

[Thumb - Letter 1 002.jpg]
 Filename Letter 1 002.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Letter 2
 Filesize 198 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  938 time(s)

Pete Keane
Forum Member

From reading them it looks like the training was at MAYMYO, Burma.

Pete
Pete Keane
Forum Member

I have found a passing reference to the formation of the unit - apparently its initial instructors were ' Commados transferred from the middle-east'.

No date, but probably late 1942 / early 43?

So which commando unit was in the middle-east at that time?

Pete.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Don't know if this helps anyone, but I have found four members of No8 Cdo listed as 'presumed killed in action' in BURMA June/July 1942 - one of these is listed as Trg Wing (training wing)

Pte J. Miller, 14 June 42, BURMA No8
Pte T. Morgan, 30 June 42, BURMA trg.wing [No8]
C/Sgt Major A. Richardson, 09July 42, BURMA No8
Tpr L.R. Scanes, 19 June 42, BURMA No8

Because of the dates and area of death, these have to be connected with 142 Cdo Company or Military Mission 204

Nick

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 12/02/2010 11:37:47

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete Keane
Forum Member

Nick,

I had a look through the War diary for 142 Commando Company.

The unit was formed on 15th June 42, there is nothing in the diary relating to these men, although Officers comings and goings are recorded, as are deaths in training.

The unit doesnt appear to have been in combat.

They could have been from the Jungle Warfare Training School, or possibly even SAS from Saugor?

Its interesting reading, right at the begining it defines its role as to be spread along the Columns of Wingates 77th Brigade, and the diary from June until Dec 42 shows constant training to this end.

The Bush Warfare Training School is a seperate entity, but there is constant cross-posting between the two. Also 204 Mission personnel are back and forward.

I thought it was an amalgam of the three, but they are clearly three closely-linked but individually defined units.

Cheers

Pete
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete, I thought that 142 Commando Company, was solely to train and supply individual or groups of Commandos for selective missions when and where required, 204 Mission was made up of all arms personnel, I received a letter along time ago from a 204 soldier stating that he was a machinist on a lathe?
The Bush Warfare Training School was a screen for the special forces.
Kevin

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger