commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
James (Jim) Temple from Jedburgh, Scotland  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
luketemple
Forum Member

Hi,

I?m just starting out on my family history journey and will be writing to MOD with my £30 to get some specific detail, but I thought I?d start the ball rolling here whilst I do that.

My grandfather never spoke about his time in the war with anyone, family or friends, all we know is that he was a commando or para (or both - is that possible?). When he died, many years ago, we found a box of his medals, a commando knife like the one featured to the right of this page (though his is pretty much black), a section of what looks like parachute (stained - possibly blood) and a German copy of Mein Kampf. My mother, who lives in Australia, has these, I?ll try and get a photo when she?s next over.

I later found a small circular plastic plaque, about the size of a beer mat, that says The Commando Association and has a picture of the knife on that too. I?ll take a snap in the morning and will send that round. Is The Commando Association a forerunner to this group, or something else?

I also found a heartbreaking chain of letters between him and an old army buddy who told my grandad (who left the army and joined the police after the war, in England) that after he left the army he started a pest control business so "was still killing, but only insects, not young German soldiers". Such a sad series of letters as both of them lost children too - my dad died when I was 12 - and whilst they try to be positive and talk about the mundane, there?s a real sense that something?s missing and they aren?t really saying what they think/feel.

Anyway, I digress, what I was hoping for was to narrow down my search and to try and find more details on my grandad. His name was James (Jim) Temple and he was born in Jedburgh in Scotland. He moved down to England (Tilgate in Crawley, West Sussex).

I feel a bit bad about asking into his background as he specifically never spoke of it and, as I was very close to him, didn?t feel right looking into his past when he died. Time changed my view I suppose and would now love to know more about him.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Luke Temple

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/07/2019 23:57:28

luketemple
Forum Member

Just heard from mum that she thinks he was in 1st Parachute Battalion No. 1 Commando.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Luke

Unfortunately I have no information on your Grandfather. There was no official nominal roll of all who served in the Commandos and whilst we have put together our own rolls for many units from the information we have discovered we understand that there are likely to be omissions.

I hope others may find some detail not known to us and respond on here.

To very briefly answer a couple of your questions, the Commandos and the Paras are separate units but a Commando could be parachute trained. The first para unit ever formed evolved from a Commando unit. He could have moved units from a Commando to a Para unit or vice versa and if this was the case the service record should reflect that.

The beer mat you mention is possibly this http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Badges+and+Memorabilia/Cdo+Assoc+emblem.jpg.html

The original Commando Association stood down in 2005. There is a new one now however they will not have anymore historical information or nominal rolls than what is on this Archive. You mentioned a letter but did not mention the name of the other man. That would give us something else to search on.

Do you have your Grandfathers service number ? Feel free to attach any photos from his service days as they can also sometimes give clues.

Many of us on here are the sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, nieces, nephews, etc of those who served. So you are not alone in your search for information. Some service records contain a fair amount of information, others not so much. Amongst the information you might receive are references to injuries, awards, transfers, and disciplinary. If you apply you have to be prepared for what it might contain !

Let us know how you get on and as I say, I hope others may have more. Finally can you advise me of the date your Grandfather died ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
luketemple
Forum Member

Thanks for the above, much appreciated. Seeing my Mum again in September when she?s back in the UK, will get some more info then and will share what I find.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger