commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Spean Bridge Memorial  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
AHewlett
Forum Member

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any information on the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge in Scotland. There's a family story that my grandfather, Sidney Hewlett who was a No 1 commando, is the middle figure. Apparently, he had the artists original drawing.

I've tried researching but I can't find much and the original artist passed away in 1984. We don't know where the original drawings are in my family so we're exploring all avenues at the moment.

Thank you in advance!
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

From Wikipedia

The monument consists of a cast bronze sculpture of three Commandos in characteristic dress complete with cap comforter, webbing and rifle, standing atop a stone plinth. The soldier at the front is thought to depict Commando Jack Lewington who frequently attended Remembrance Services at the monument during his lifetime. One of the other two soldiers is Frank Nicholls (rank unknown) the other is alleged to be Patrick Hynan. The three Commandos are depicted looking south towards Ben Nevis. The entire monument is 17 feet (5.2 m) tall. The monument has been variously described as a huge, striking and iconic statue.

Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There has been previous discussion about this here, and several claims:

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/1392.page

Jack Lewington was interviewed in a newspaper indicating he was the man in the centre. He states the other two were 'Jock' More from Lerwick and 'Taff' Jones from Swansea.
[Thumb - Cdo Models.jpg]
 Filename Cdo Models.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 945 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  396 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/07/2019 20:03:13

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Jack Lewington comparison
[Thumb - Jack Lewington.JPG]
 Filename Jack Lewington.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  444 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The history of the Memorial

http://www.commandoveterans.org/CdoMemorialSpeanBridge

[Email]
AHewlett
Forum Member

Thanks very much everyone - we don't know how this story came about but I've only been hearing it recently especially since photos have been sent to me of my grandfather at the memorial so I had to do some checking haha.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger