commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
8 Commando world war2  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Jocck
Forum Member

Any info on operations with 8 commando my father may have been in during his service
His name is john paterson Robertson 2811911 .He discovered his name in a book The Phantom Major by virginia cowles about history of the SAS which he joined after 8 commando was disbanded .He was involved in operation squatter the Timimi Gazala raids of the SAS . I believe he was in the party commanded by Lt McGonigal which the author reckons they were all killed which was not true . My father and some others were later captured by the italians I know one of the troop was very badly injured by getting dragged by his chute and he was left .They were dropped in a gale with torrential rain and supplies and men were scatered . He was in a POW camp when with 2 others he escaped into switzerland.
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have a copy of the War Diary for 8 Commando and a few documents for L Detatchment plus a few other bits and pieces that may help, refer to the pm i have sent you.
Kind regards,
Alan.
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have a copy of his POW report and several files from WO417, recording him as missing, a POW, in a neutral country, in UK and also one showing him recorded in his last POW Camp, he is not mentioned in B Battalions War Diary, i have 2 different versions of a L Detatchment Nominal Roll on which he is named on.
On Squatter he was in McGonigals Flight No. 2, two of which lost their lives the rest including your father became POWs.
Kind regards,
Alan.
Jocck
Forum Member

Thanks for your help and I've replied to your pm.
Jocck
GUY
Forum Member

Jocck,
Is this your father?

Some of No.8 Cdo. outside the "Oyster Smack" pub in Burnham-on-Crouch, Aug.1940

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/8/No_8+Cdo+Burnham+on+Crouch.jpg.html
Jocck
Forum Member

Alan above also mentioned the photo . I'm 90 % sure its him , but the corporal stripes puzzle me , as never thought he had any . Also in his POW debrief report his rank was GSDM Robertson . Thanks for your help . Jock

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger