commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Cpl. James Robert (Jim) Speight  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
bobtherob
Forum Member

Hello,

I am looking for any information on my dad -Cpl. James Robert (Jim) Speight- other than the what I have already found on this forum.

He served with No. 6 Commando until he was captured (in North Africa ?) and spent some time as a POW in Halle, Germany

Regards
Robert Speight
[Thumb - James Robert Speight.jpeg]
 Filename James Robert Speight.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 203 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  279 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Robert

Thank you for the image of your father which I have added to our gallery. If you provide his date of birth and death I will add those to it and update our Obituary listing.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/James+Robert+Speight+6+Cdo.jpg.html.

Unfortunately I have no other information but I hope others may find details especially relating to his capture.

You can view our section on Service Record applications here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/06/2019 20:16:53

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

4537686 Lance Corporal James Robert SPEIGHT Royal Armoured Corps & 6 Commando
16th August 1919 - 1972 Leeds
Prior to volunteering for the Commandos, your father enlisted in the West Yorkshire Regiment as a Territorial. He served with the 7th (Leeds Rifles) Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. In June 1939, a cadre from the Battalion were converted to an armoured role and formed the 51st (Leeds Rifles) Royal Tank Regiment.

Lance Corporal Speight was serving with 6 Commando when he was captured in Tunisia on the 26th February 1943 during the battle for Steamroller Farm.

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/6-commando-the-battle-for-steamroller-farm.20589/

He was held at Stalag IVD/Z P.o.w no. 226386

On April 13th 1945, your father and two other men from Leeds escaped from a working party during an air raid, eventually running into an American patrol. This was reported in the Yorkshire Post 3rd May 1945

Good luck with your research
Guy
[Thumb - SPEIGHT P.o.w..png]
 Filename SPEIGHT P.o.w..png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  308 time(s)

[Thumb - Yorkshire Post 3 May 1945.png]
 Filename Yorkshire Post 3 May 1945.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 188 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  262 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 20/06/2019 23:14:59

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Excellent information from your research Guy.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
bobtherob
Forum Member

Hello Guy,
Thank you for the information, it will certainly help me with my research.
Having lived in Germany for the last 30 years I have always wanted to find out more about his time in Halle. It would seem that the village mentioned in the newspaper report is Niemberg,close to 06188 Landsberg.
Best Regards
Robert Speight

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger